tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Apple iPhone
Thread: Apple iPhone
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Finally, the Mobileburn review. This is the site I get a lot (most?) of my reviews from, they're fairly impartial and usually do a pretty good job. In my opinion, the best review site out there that I've found to date.

http://mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=3526

Conclusion

When 10 years have passed and people look back on the mobile phones of days gone by, I believe they will invariably look upon Apple's iPhone as the beginning of a new era. The iPhone's user interface goes beyond changing the rules: it creates its own new game to play. Touch screens have been found in some mobile phones for a long time, but never have they been used so intuitively and easily.

But, is the iPhone a great mobile phone? No, not really. It is an average phone, but hardly a great one. It lacks basic phone functions like voice dialing and MMS, and it doesn't support any of the current 3G data networks. It is also difficult to use with one hand. It does happen to be a pretty darn impressive mobile computer, though, especially when it comes to the web and consuming multimedia content like music, movies, and photos.

Considering this is very much a version 1.0 product, Apple is to be applauded for the overall stability of the device and the amazing performance of its user interface. I ran into a few application snags that appear to have been memory related, but the iPhone's over protective user interface kept me from ever finding out if that was truly the problem. Either way, problems, other than those related to my personal WiFi router, were very few and far between.

It might only be an average phone, and it lacks the support for real 3rd party applications a smartphone would have, but it is nonetheless an outstanding device - for the right person. It isn't going to replace your BlackBerry, and its UI will stifle advanced users, but there is no device on the market today that is even close to being as much fun to use as the iPhone. It is the most entertaining feature phone on the market. I give it a "Recommended" rating. If you are a heavy web and iPod user, though, the iPhone could be your dream come true.

You'll find videos of the iPhone in action in our iPhone story from last week. A gallery of sample photos shot with the iPhone's 2 megapixel camera are available on the following page.

Recommended (explanation)
Pros: Amazing UI, solid design, best mobile browser, best iPod
Cons: No 3G, no MMS, no Bluetooth stereo, no Voice dialing, no corporate email, iTunes sync issues