Your Mental Health

I know little or nothing about mental health issues but an old friend checked out yesterday leaving 4 kids and a husband behind. Christ, she was a hugely intelligent, talented lady, but the demons got a hold of her and she never managed to pull out of it again. Drink entered the scene and deep psychosis kicked in. From the outside looking in you'd have thought she had everything you could want in life. My last conversation with her was a few months back, she was ringing having been admitted again. She wanted me to lead a demonstration in Cork to campaign for the environment and she had Graham Norton and Bono arranged to be there with me!

What a waste :cry:
Sorry to hear that Honky.

I know little or nothing about mental health issues but an old friend checked out yesterday leaving 4 kids and a husband behind. Christ, she was a hugely intelligent, talented lady, but the demons got a hold of her and she never managed to pull out of it again. Drink entered the scene and deep psychosis kicked in. From the outside looking in you'd have thought she had everything you could want in life. My last conversation with her was a few months back, she was ringing having been admitted again. She wanted me to lead a demonstration in Cork to campaign for the environment and she had Graham Norton and Bono arranged to be there with me!

What a waste :cry:

Sad story but unfortunately alcohol is the usual common denominator in many cases. It’s a cheap easy solution to problems for many till it eventually bites you and no way out.

Being a functional alcoholic is easy to ignore reality as the perception out there is alcoholics don’t have Jobs, cars, houses , family. The idea that the alcoholic is they guy on the courthouse steps with a flaggin of lethal village couldn’t be further from reality.

People turning to alcohol as a method of coping with whatever life is throwing at them at a particular time is I think very common, it can be a downward spiral but going to the doctor and if necessary taking medication, can be the first step to getting back to normal, if the person continues to drink while on meds that makes things far worse.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Muireann Bradley
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

3rd Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼