Woman murdered in Tullamore..

If you dont then nothing is being required of you...

But sure, it should be the responsibility of the person being abused to ignore the abuse, rather than on the abuser not to abuse.
Some drunken runt of a student behaved in an abhorrent way towards you in a place where you should be able to walk without having to deal with such nastiness, no argument there, however, as I know from personal experience, when you are in the thick of a situation which could potentially escalate quite quickly, there is no point in adding fuel to the fire by engaging with the yob.

I'm reminded of that young man who lost his life in Bandon road 2 years ago, he was trying to act as peacemaker with a gang of highly aggressive young men, it didn't end well for him.

The real world is a very different place from twitter.

White Knighting on the INTERNET is a risk free game that anyone can play.

But misogyny is linked to it.

I'll try and explain with an example, I was walking home from work last year and some drunken young fella on Barrack street told me to cheer up and give him a smile. I told him to fuck off ( cos I was tired and not in the mood for his shit) and his response was to call me a cunt and try and grab my phone off me.

His friend intervened and got him away and apologised to me but he continued to roar abuse until I was out of ear shot.

That wasnt a clumsy attempt at chatting up ( I was twice his age for a start!), it was anger and violence because a woman wouldnt do what he told them too. That sort of shit happens all the time to women.

Now, that's a very minor thing in comparison to what happened to Aisling Murphy, but it is on the same continuum. While murders like hers are very uncommon, experiences like that are not.
Tbh, I think your conclusion is quite the leap given what you must know about people when intoxicated.

Do you really think that if he happened to ask a bloke to cheer up and said bloke told him to fuck off, he would have said no problem, sorry for annoying you? He would just as likely reared up on him and it wouldn't have been because the guy didn't do what he wanted it would have been because in the drunk guys head he was being nice and the guy threw it back in his face.

Are they more likely to make a comment to a woman, probably, would their reaction be any different to a man or woman telling them to fuck themselves, no chance, so I would say you are falling into the simple trap of looking to label his actions as something they are not. He is drunk and as a result a) thinks he is great craic (though an annoying prick to us, which he doesn't realise), and b) is more sensitive to any criticism than if sober and hence far more likely to kick off. The sex of his victim is unlikely to matter or influence his reaction. I would only call his actions misogynistic if he only got offended by women putting him back in his box but we both know that is not the case.

I'm not defending the drunk, we've all had to humour some dick who thinks he'll improve our night by bestowing his wisdom upon us, but generally hoping they'll piss off or moving yourselves is a better option than telling them to go fuck themselves no matter how much they may deserve such words.

That is not what I have said, at all.

I have said that you have a responsibility to not be a prick to women (or men). If you are already doing that then congratulations, you're not a prick.

You have a responsibility to call out your friends if they are being pricks to woman (or men). Again, if you are already doing that then congrats, you're not a prick!
Thank you for taking it upon yourself to point out our obvious failings as individuals parents brothers and friends.
What you seem to fail to understand is that we already apply those very same standards and principles in our everyday life, we teach our children right from wrong and they grow up to be upstanding citizens of this country.
I don't know what we can do about the other less consciousness individuals other than prosecute them, but unfortunately they are money to the legal system and you will always find someone to defend them and recycle them back onto the streets.
Maybe by bringing your fight to that very same quarter some progress can be made and women can have some peace of mind.
Please don't take this as a personal attack on you as an individual, we understand you're not all the same.

You mentioned mentioned men need to be given an insight into how women feel with regards to their fears etc and I agree.

To increase understanding, I also think it should work the other way around also with regards to how men view these situations.

If I were walking down the street and women whistled at me I'd be delighted, and more so if the guy 50 yards ahead got no whistle. I'd take it as a compliment (they obviously think I'm better looking than the guy ahead, taking a compliment is not a sign of insecurity as you suggested), similarly getting my ass pinched in a pub, granted if they shouted at me to get my dick out I would think they are a bit odd.

Now if the above is my mindset and possibly many other men, then you can see how men will think such behaviour is relatively harmless so yes it is your responsibility to point out you don't like such behaviour, similarly if you were doing something to me you thought was harmless it would be up to me to let you know that I find it disturbing and why I find it off-putting.

I know it's not news that women suddenly find this behaviour disturbing but as from last night I think the message would have a greater chance of succeeding if it was simply look we don't find this funny or whatever as opposed to stop being such misogynist dicks which might be what you feel like saying but is unlikely to be as effective.
🤔
When attractive women pinch my arse, I take it as a compliment! 😊

What are women doing that you consider insane?

Also, I've consistently said that women have this responsibility too. Maybe you missed that. There is a lot going on in this thread

On reflection I should replace 'screamingly insane' with 'Diana moment'.

But yeah, agreed. A lot going on in this thread which has become a microcosm of Men v Women. The subject deserves better than this.

So, I'm going to watch the football with a beer and scratch my balls.

For what its worth.

Matlock has told me privately she attended a vigil and I believe her.

Just as Id ask anyone to believe that a politician, any politician piggy backing on this is more interested in the positive publicity they can get than any real concern for women in general.
Listening to Helen McEntee on the news on Thursday I said to myself, she definitely has leadership ambitions, she said nothing of substance during the interview. She is in a position where she has the powers to make our streets a lot safer place for all concerned, but I reckon by the time she leaves office in two years time she will have achieved little.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Longest Johns
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

24th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Dylan Brinkley

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼