What style of hurling should Cork play ?

RightHalfBack

Lads, after on the recent AI final and seeing the two co championship games on Sunday I was wondering what style of hurling JBM might play with Cork. Looking at how much KK now get away with in terms of pulling, dragging, holding, blocking the runners etc etc I think the running game is completely dead ( CIT last Sunday proved this again ) but also to compete with KK/Dublin at their own game we now need a completely different type of physical/athletic hurler which we don't have in abundance. I am of the opinion that to get the best out of what we have in Cork we need to go back to a faster, traditional style of hurling where the simple philosophy (at least from midfield up ) is to let the ball fly on the ground or in the air and get it into the inside foirwards as fast as possible. The amount of possession KK win from puckouts is unreal but if you look at the opposition forwards most of the time they are simply trying to catch the ball as well - there is little or no pulling on the ball in the air. If you had a fella at half forward pulling on every puck-out the likes of Tommy Walsh wouldn't be putting his hand up so often then !!

Am I mad or is it now really time to go back to the old style first time hurling ? Possession game is obviously useful in certain tight situations but the overall philosophy should be to let the ball fly with plenty ground hurling and coach fellas to react quickly to breaking balls all over the field especially the inside line. lets see how Noel Hickey reacts to fast ground ball flying in to the likes of Hoggy or Paudie Sull or O' Farrell who each have the speed, touch & ability to take advantage. Fitness levels would need to be very good but this is what traditional Cork hurling is all about so why not make the rest react to us for a change ?

Just sticking it out there for debate lads.

Am I mad or is it now really time to go back to the old style first time hurling ?

Just sticking it out there for debate lads.

Ground hurling is the only way to beat these bastards (KK that is). We should go back to the way we we played in the AI final in 1990. Tomas Mul was a great man to pull on the ball in the air, if we had three like him in the half-forward line I guarantee you we would see an improvement in results.

Ground hurling is the only way to beat these bastards (KK that is). We should go back to the way we we played in the AI final in 1990. Tomas Mul was a great man to pull on the ball in the air, if we had three like him in the half-forward line I guarantee you we would see an improvement in results.

heh heh

if we had 3 players like Tomas Mul in the half forward line we would have the best half forward line in the country and the biggest problem that has dogged the team for the last 5 years would be history!

1 hurler of his ability anywhere in the forwards would do me right now :p

How about we get a few fellas to catch the bloody ball, so it doesn't look like Tommy fucking Walsh is some sort of superhuman compared to everyone else?

Fast, low, well-placed ball to the HF line is surely going to increase the odds of them getting to it? I don't mean on the ground, I mean not big high hanging ones that give everyone and his dog time to gather under it.

Interchanging/moving forwards a lot, especially coming forward to create space for balls in behind has to have an advantage with pacey forwards. It's something that would take a while to get right, but it will make it difficult for the defence if they can do it.

How about we get a few fellas to catch the bloody ball, so it doesn't look like Tommy fucking Walsh is some sort of superhuman compared to everyone else?
Fast, low, well-placed ball to the HF line is surely going to increase the odds of them getting to it? I don't mean on the ground, I mean not big high hanging ones that give everyone and his dog time to gather under it.
Interchanging/moving forwards a lot, especially coming forward to create space for balls in behind has to have an advantage with pacey forwards. It's something that would take a while to get right, but it will make it difficult for the defence if they can do it.
i have said it before and I will say it again.We need to get the travellers involved.them lads have no fear and have skulls as thick as badgers.do u think they would back down from tommy walsh? They would like fuck.

i have said it before and I will say it again.We need to get the travellers involved.them lads have no fear and have skulls as thick as badgers.do u think they would back down from tommy walsh? They would like fuck.

Now you're just embarrasing yourself.

Think cork needs to re-invent itself and i'm sure JBM will look at doing something different. Think ground hurling is the way to go, a back hates having to deal with a ground strike. I only wish tipp would have done it more this year, so simple but used well it is so effective.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼