Wetherspoons for Cork. Where?

Dont bother.Sorry we did. Wish we hadn't set foot over the door. Called in around 4.15 today ,27th July for a drink and possibility of staying for food. Found a seat, noticed quite a dirty almost sewer like smell. My husband went to the bar, I decided we should move seats. Still downstairs but to side of bar near fire door. Smell continued, As I awaited my husbands return, I was observing all the empty tables which were not being cleared down as people left. Each table we went to were full of empty glasses, and rubbish or plates. They were sticky and stained, even the menus were filthy. After 25 mins of being downstairs, I decided to go upstairs to see if there were any clean tables, if we were going to eat. I went to the bar , ordered some food for us, along with a couple of drinks and explained to the barmaid that we had been observing staff downstairs all busy doing very little 3 of them behind the bar, and no-one to serve. They wandered around and none of them lifted a glass or wiped a table. I requested before i ordered food for someone to come over and clear and wipe down our table, she came over herself, and wiped down half the table, couldnt believe it.! She requested another member of staff to go downstairs and clear down and wipe down all the tables. That barmaid rolled her eyes at that request. The bar at this point was not overly busy but the glasses still filled the empty tables. A girl beside us ordered food and it arrived to a table not even wiped down of beer stains. Disgusting! We placed our order, char grilled lemon and herb chicken with mash and peas. A barman came to the table to inform us they had ran out of mash (at 4.45pm). We were offered chips or baked potato. I chose chips. My husband chose the baked potato. Two plates arrived, the chicken not looking chargrilled and like warm, oddly enough, mash if you could call it that arrived on one plate. It was stone cold. I checked the menu, and as I thought, there were supposed to be peas, but no peas on plate. They gave us garlic mayo instead! I grabbed another barman attention, explained what had happened, and asked why anyone would put garlic mayo with the dish instead of the peas. He apologised, and asked if we still wanted the peas, I said, Well, we've paid for them, so of course we want them. Mushy peas arrived hot, the temperature our food should have been served at. The barmaid came back to us and asked could she take our plates, to which I informed her I would be very happy for you to remove these plates, that my meal was disgusting. She just looked at me. We left . We won't be returning to that JD Wetherspoon. They are a popular bar chain, and have a pretty good reputation where we live, but this left us feeling disappointed in leadership and teamwork within the bar. This just ruined our afternoon in Cork City as visitors

Lol, what a review!

Dont bother.Sorry we did. Wish we hadn't set foot over the door. Called in around 4.15 today ,27th July for a drink and possibility of staying for food. Found a seat, noticed quite a dirty almost sewer like smell. My husband went to the bar, I decided we should move seats. Still downstairs but to side of bar near fire door. Smell continued, As I awaited my husbands return, I was observing all the empty tables which were not being cleared down as people left. Each table we went to were full of empty glasses, and rubbish or plates. They were sticky and stained, even the menus were filthy. After 25 mins of being downstairs, I decided to go upstairs to see if there were any clean tables, if we were going to eat. I went to the bar , ordered some food for us, along with a couple of drinks and explained to the barmaid that we had been observing staff downstairs all busy doing very little 3 of them behind the bar, and no-one to serve. They wandered around and none of them lifted a glass or wiped a table. I requested before i ordered food for someone to come over and clear and wipe down our table, she came over herself, and wiped down half the table, couldnt believe it.! She requested another member of staff to go downstairs and clear down and wipe down all the tables. That barmaid rolled her eyes at that request. The bar at this point was not overly busy but the glasses still filled the empty tables. A girl beside us ordered food and it arrived to a table not even wiped down of beer stains. Disgusting! We placed our order, char grilled lemon and herb chicken with mash and peas. A barman came to the table to inform us they had ran out of mash (at 4.45pm). We were offered chips or baked potato. I chose chips. My husband chose the baked potato. Two plates arrived, the chicken not looking chargrilled and like warm, oddly enough, mash if you could call it that arrived on one plate. It was stone cold. I checked the menu, and as I thought, there were supposed to be peas, but no peas on plate. They gave us garlic mayo instead! I grabbed another barman attention, explained what had happened, and asked why anyone would put garlic mayo with the dish instead of the peas. He apologised, and asked if we still wanted the peas, I said, Well, we've paid for them, so of course we want them. Mushy peas arrived hot, the temperature our food should have been served at. The barmaid came back to us and asked could she take our plates, to which I informed her I would be very happy for you to remove these plates, that my meal was disgusting. She just looked at me. We left . We won't be returning to that JD Wetherspoon. They are a popular bar chain, and have a pretty good reputation where we live, but this left us feeling disappointed in leadership and teamwork within the bar. This just ruined our afternoon in Cork City as visitors

Lol, what a review!
Does it say where they are from?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

1st May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Jennifer Lyons

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼