Vanlife

Any others here do a conversion job themselves?

We took the maiden voyage in our own this weekend, still a van for now, but I’ll sus layouts etc over the summer before converting for next year. Had a few days up around Doolin, cliffs of moher boat tour, parochial house, the usual spots.

I’m liking the look of the adventure vans with a platform bed in the back, plenty room for storage. Fun times ahead!

We took the maiden voyage in our own this weekend, still a van for now, but I’ll sus layouts etc over the summer before converting for next year. Had a few days up around Doolin, cliffs of moher boat tour, parochial house, the usual spots.

I’m liking the look of the adventure vans with a platform bed in the back, plenty room for storage. Fun times ahead!

What do you do for a jax at 2 am ?

Piss out the door or what ?

I don't understand why insurance/tax is so reduced if you can get a van designated as a camper
I believe windows ventilation and rudimentary cooking facilities inside the van is all that is required

I don't understand why insurance/tax is so reduced if you can get a van designated as a camper
I believe windows ventilation and rudimentary cooking facilities inside the van is all that is required

I'd imagine because they would be doing lower mileage than the average car - most are only used at weekends etc, so maybe a lower risk involved as an insurable group as a whole!

That being said, the insurance also covers social/domestic/pleasure so can be used as the daily driver if needs be!

https://www.outsidevan.com/van/ed-van/ - that's along the lines of what I'm going for myself!

I helped my buddy kit out a Transporter the bones of decade ago.

It turned out well in the end but doing it was a fucking nightmare. He bought all the bits and pieces off of different sites the internet and assumed, because I trained as a fitter, that I could get them to... fit.

It took a full bank holiday weekend to do it - if I had charged him labour I could have taken a nice holiday. I should have charged him labour...

Drilling and tapping holes, bending yourself into awkward corners, having a cunt with no experience of engineering appearing in your garage with a van, kitchenette, cooker, insulating panels and folding bed from god knows where and expecting you to get it all into the back of said van.

Have you looked at Happy Campers? They do some good stuff.

It sounds so cool! Happy travels to ye.

Thank you kindly!

I helped my buddy kit out a Transporter the bones of decade ago.

It turned out well in the end but doing it was a fucking nightmare. He bought all the bits and pieces off of different sites the internet and assumed, because I trained as a fitter, that I could get them to... fit.

It took a full bank holiday weekend to do it - if I had charged him labour I could have taken a nice holiday. I should have charged him labour...

Drilling and tapping holes, bending yourself into awkward corners, having a cunt with no experience of engineering appearing in your garage with a van, kitchenette, cooker, insulating panels and folding bed from god knows where and expecting you to get it all into the back of said van.

Have you looked at Happy Campers? They do some good stuff.

Can be a pig of a job alright - but I'll get pros to do the technical work and the rest myself - the most important part for me is that I know when I'm out of my depth with the work! I'll project manage :D

Simple conversion is what I need - a small kitchen pod - fridge, 1/2 gas burner and sink with clean/waste water tanks. Leisure battery (for 12v only, don't need 220v power) with a solar panel on roof for lighting etc.

It’s becoming very popular since covid came along.

Unfortunately that means that a lot of places you could have parked up before are now putting up no campers/camping signs because of assholes leaving rubbish around.

Me and the wife traveled all over Iceland in a small van a few times. It’s the job.

Best of luck with it.

Nice one, enjoy it

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Kerbdog - 30th Anniversary Show
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

21st Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼