Transfer Window Thread

I think he was linked with Leicester.

Fabregas called out Fofana, Diop or Tchouameni as having the potential to earn a big move in the future.

yes, i'm aware of the Leicester links but hadn't read anything re. a potential move to Liverpool...it'd just be another typically astute and relatively unchallenged transfer by Leicester if they get him...just like with Soumare and Tielemans!

I think the Liverpool interest is genuine, but if Benfica play hard-ball or a bidding war breaks out I'd imagine Liverpool might pivot to options #2 or #3.

Man Utd are in a strange/awful position in the final third.

Cavani is gone.
Martial is a busted flush, but has 2 years to run on this contract.
Greenwood future on & off the field in huge doubt.

Ronaldo unlikely to stay beyond summer 2023.
Rashford needs a reboot.
Elanga looks worthy of some minutes - but IMHO as a 4th or 5th choice for a side with CL qualification ambitions
Shoretire & Garnacho have promise, but statistically unlikely to ever become regular first-team players.

Then for wide attackers there's only Sancho of note. The bones of £40m spent on Amad and Pellistri look unlikely to bear fruit.

If you take a pessimistic view on those in red above, depending on formation/style you could argue that Utd need 4-5 quality attacking players to come in across the next 3 windows (summer/winter/summer) and perform well.

That will be very hard to achieve.
🤔
Food for thought here!

I think the Liverpool interest is genuine, but if Benfica play hard-ball or a bidding war breaks out I'd imagine Liverpool might pivot to options #2 or #3.

Man Utd are in a strange/awful position in the final third.

Cavani is gone.
Martial is a busted flush, but has 2 years to run on this contract.
Greenwood future on & off the field in huge doubt.

Ronaldo unlikely to stay beyond summer 2023.
Rashford needs a reboot.
Elanga looks worthy of some minutes - but IMHO as a 4th or 5th choice for a side with CL qualification ambitions
Shoretire & Garnacho have promise, but statistically unlikely to ever become regular first-team players.

Then for wide attackers there's only Sancho of note. The bones of £40m spent on Amad and Pellistri look unlikely to bear fruit.

If you take a pessimistic view on those in red above, depending on formation/style you could argue that Utd need 4-5 quality attacking players to come in across the next 3 windows (summer/winter/summer) and perform well.

That will be very hard to achieve.
Decent post.

Of the 3 young lads you mentioned Garnacho would be my nap to make it, elanga will only ever be a squad player. Shoretire will struggle I'd say. Another wellbeck maybe?

Then again, everyone thought Scott Mctominay was going to be shit. 200 games for United now, Scott had the last laugh.

Decent post.

Of the 3 young lads you mentioned Garnacho would be my nap to make it, elanga will only ever be a squad player. Shoretire will struggle I'd say. Another wellbeck maybe?

Welbeck racked up almost 150 appearances for the club.

Regardless of how well they perform I'd regard a youth prospect as being a success (to some degree) if they manage to play that many times for the club. Especially during an era where the club was competing for the title.

The odds of any youth player getting to that level are pretty low. Add in the £16m fee too and he's been worth the time/effort the club spent developing him.

Then again, everyone thought Scott Mctominay was going to be shit. 200 games for United now, Scott had the last laugh.

He's a solid enough player and you couldn't fault him for effort, but he's managed to play so often largely because the bar has dropped so much at the club. Especially in central midfield. For a big chunk of his Utd career he's been a first XI player - but in reality he's a level below the likes of Butt & Phil Neville (...who themselves were subs more often than not).

IMHO he's still pretty much the player he looked like being when he broke through. He hasn't taken major strides forward, but equally he's shown he has the mentality to play for a big club - and there were plenty of times when he showed up while other expensive players shied away.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom McRae
Wavelength (Cyprus Ave Rooftop)

3rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Flash Harry - A Celebration of Queen

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼