Training Run Times

So, a couple of you will have seen on Strava that I am taking the first steps to getting back into running. I have had 3 jabs in the hip area, quite a bit of physio and I now also massage the quad?itb of the left leg myself after each run. The doc who's giving me the jabs of hyaluronic acid, and one 'extra' homeopathic one, thinks some muscle issue in the quad might be what's causing the hip pain.

As I've had a few false dawns before, I'm not getting too cocky about being back just yet. I've done a few 6/8k and today 10k jogs at around 5.20/5.30 km pace. Today's was a cool one, except it's boiling here, cos I met up with a couple of running buddies and did 4k with them as they were warming up. Goddamn it but running with others is so much easier! The leg doesn't feel bad to be honest. I'm hoping to get out every second day if it stays like this, get a base in and slowly increase the distance. I don't plan on trying to increase pace at all for the foreseeable.

If I can lose a few kgs - I had only put on about 5k in the time out - and up the distance, then the aim is to try Valencia in December. 42.2 kms seems a long way away right now but I'll see how things go over the next few months and make a call nearer the day. Hope the gang on here is doing ok. El Guapo (but is he really?) must keep us updated on the auld progress.

So, a couple of you will have seen on Strava that I am taking the first steps to getting back into running. I have had 3 jabs in the hip area, quite a bit of physio and I now also massage the quad?itb of the left leg myself after each run. The doc who's giving me the jabs of hyaluronic acid, and one 'extra' homeopathic one, thinks some muscle issue in the quad might be what's causing the hip pain.

As I've had a few false dawns before, I'm not getting too cocky about being back just yet. I've done a few 6/8k and today 10k jogs at around 5.20/5.30 km pace. Today's was a cool one, except it's boiling here, cos I met up with a couple of running buddies and did 4k with them as they were warming up. Goddamn it but running with others is so much easier! The leg doesn't feel bad to be honest. I'm hoping to get out every second day if it stays like this, get a base in and slowly increase the distance. I don't plan on trying to increase pace at all for the foreseeable.

If I can lose a few kgs - I had only put on about 5k in the time out - and up the distance, then the aim is to try Valencia in December. 42.2 kms seems a long way away right now but I'll see how things go over the next few months and make a call nearer the day. Hope the gang on here is doing ok. El Guapo (but is he really?) must keep us updated on the auld progress.
Great to hear that you’re back out there again Carmona. Fingers crossed everything will hold up and you can keep building!
Good run this morning for me along with three Eagles, including Terrier. Running with company is definitely so much easier!

Yeah, great to see you out on the road old pal.
One step at a time though - easy does it. You might be better looking at a 42.2 in 2023. Keep the exercises and rehab going for sure.

Brilliant!

Last edited:
El Guapo (but is he really?) must keep us updated on the auld progress.
LOL, username selection regrets I've had a few.
Glad to hear you're back training. Its weird that you never realise how much you miss running/training and all its many benefits until you go back to it. You'd forget while you're out like.

I'm going alright. Not great. I'm swimming 5k around Garnish at the end of July so was back to the pool after the marathon relay and was a bit upscuttled by building work at home.

In terms of getting back Into the swing of it I've been following a programme called "the easy interval method". There are plenty of posts on here which describe solid training regimes (lots of easy miles, a long run and 2 sessions). But while I was out I found it difficult to stick to that tried and tested method. I was not training as the athlete I am rather than the athlete I used to be 10 years ago. 10.30mins/mile on the easy runs felt like they would never end. Then I'd chance something like mile reps and try and fail to hit numbers i wasnt able for and get pissed off with myself.

EIM is well described here.

The few articles linked to the Hungarian coach are very interesting for any running nerds.

Nothing special to it. But instead of easy miles the base of the programme is sub lactate repeats. 200s, 400s and 1ks. No steady state runs only Fartleks.

Its not for any of the lads on here who are motoring well and know what there at. But for me a fella who currently mostly runs alone (can't get across town for the track sessions) at weird times (I've small kids), and likes to track shit on a Garmin. I've found it brilliant.

All reps are below LT with loads of rest so different to intervals ye might be used to and you need to be a bit disciplined. If your easy reps turn into hammer sessions it won't fly for more than a few weeks

I really don't know for sure sure if the bit of fitness I've regained is down to this or the fact that I went from 5 miles a week to 25 but I've found it easier psychologically. If only because running "fast" however fast or slow that is feels good . Although I'm not sure id have the balls to stick with it as a marathon programme.

Anyway best of luck with the with it. As BPT says one step at a time

I dipped into the Ultra scene last Sunday for the Tralee 100k...=Glad to say I finished in 12hrs 58 mins...Training for it was up and down..I couldnt run a single Mile in April due to a back injury but on the 1st of May I did a treadmill test...If I could run for 10 mins without stopping I was going to give it a lash....My longest run for the Ultra was Cork Marathon which I ran well within myself and finished in 4hrs 13...I knew that day is was definitely on because of how easy it felt....I will try and write a more detailed account when I have more time

I dipped into the Ultra scene last Sunday for the Tralee 100k...=Glad to say I finished in 12hrs 58 mins...Training for it was up and down..I couldnt run a single Mile in April due to a back injury but on the 1st of May I did a treadmill test...If I could run for 10 mins without stopping I was going to give it a lash....My longest run for the Ultra was Cork Marathon which I ran well within myself and finished in 4hrs 13...I knew that day is was definitely on because of how easy it felt....I will try and write a more detailed account when I have more time
Wow! Great stuff EarlY! Looking forward to the details ;-)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼