Training Run Times

Feel a lot looser today, sitting on a sliotar is helping, cycled a bit yesterday, Hopefully i may have turned a corner,
I was just about to advise you to do that! I've suffered my fair share of piriformis issues over the years. I literally used to carry one around with me no matter where I went! 😅 Try myofascia release as well if you can. It's kind of like a massage but more focused on certain areas.

I was just about to advise you to do that! I've suffered my fair share of piriformis issues over the years. I literally used to carry one around with me no matter where I went! 😅 Try myofascia release as well if you can. It's kind of like a massage but more focused on certain areas.
Cheers for that, The sliotar gives relief, Did 50 mins on exercise bike monday and 20 mins on treadmill today just to keep cardio up,
Hopefully im on right path, last wednesday i ran 4 miles and completely seized up after it, Today after treadmill felt a bit sore but way better,
I know treadmill is less taxing on the body, I will look into myofascia release,

Tried a few laps of a pitch yesterday, had to stop after two laps, agony down left buttock, Hardest but wisest decision now is to just stop until this thing clears up, Have spent a fair few bob on physios but will now let nature take its course,
At this stage im in two minds if il have the enthusiasm to start all over again,

Tried a few laps of a pitch yesterday, had to stop after two laps, agony down left buttock, Hardest but wisest decision now is to just stop until this thing clears up, Have spent a fair few bob on physios but will now let nature take its course,
At this stage im in two minds if il have the enthusiasm to start all over again,
Jimmy, it's not a straightforward game this. I'm not saying you have to keep at it, maybe it's not for you. Maybe you'd be more suited to the bike or weights or whatever. But if you look at most of the fellas who've been at it for years on here - I'm thinking the Terrier, Timeout, Smurf, Elwood, Pounding Rd. (This last named on another comeback if I'm not mistaken) and of course meself!! then you'll see the setbacks have been many and prolonged. All of us have had injuries that kept us out for a year or more. And when you think you're getting back, bang goes something else. It's tough, I'm not gonna lie, but I think we'd all agree that it's worth it in the end. Right now, Carta, who's represented Ireland and has completed some epic races is on the injury list. I believe he's determined to make it back. And remember some of us are well past 50, eh!! Ok, Terrier, Elwood and me. But, if you're willing to persevere, I think you'll make it yet.
One last thing, I believe you might be better off with short to midterm targets. A Half marathon always strikes me as achievable, rather than saying Ok, 4 months to Cork/Dublin/Berlin/Valencia, let the training begin. Pick a 10k, a 10 miler a Half or two and then a couple of years down the line, you'll be well placed to tackle that Full. Good luck with it.

Jimmy, it's not a straightforward game this. I'm not saying you have to keep at it, maybe it's not for you. Maybe you'd be more suited to the bike or weights or whatever. But if you look at most of the fellas who've been at it for years on here - I'm thinking the Terrier, Timeout, Smurf, Elwood, Pounding Rd. (This last named on another comeback if I'm not mistaken) and of course meself!! then you'll see the setbacks have been many and prolonged. All of us have had injuries that kept us out for a year or more. And when you think you're getting back, bang goes something else. It's tough, I'm not gonna lie, but I think we'd all agree that it's worth it in the end. Right now, Carta, who's represented Ireland and has completed some epic races is on the injury list. I believe he's determined to make it back. And remember some of us are well past 50, eh!! Ok, Terrier, Elwood and me. But, if you're willing to persevere, I think you'll make it yet.
One last thing, I believe you might be better off with short to midterm targets. A Half marathon always strikes me as achievable, rather than saying Ok, 4 months to Cork/Dublin/Berlin/Valencia, let the training begin. Pick a 10k, a 10 miler a Half or two and then a couple of years down the line, you'll be well placed to tackle that Full. Good luck with it.

Cheers, carmona, yesterday i was all for throwing the runners away, today i am a bit more upbeat, yes maybe my body is telling me a half is my limit, I dont have many more outlets than this, meeting the gang for midweek and sunday runs keep.me going, i will get back when fit,
Pissed off to be missing cork to carrigaline next sunday and ballintotis thurs week but such is life,

I took up swimming for a good while and just stopped giving myself grief with the constant heart ache of running injuries. One thing about niggly wear and tear type injuries is that they won't be rushed.

I see TimeO still has a bit of speed in the legs, even if he wasn't 100% fit. Sub 3.30km pace is decent any day of the week. And the wind was a factor, I believe.

@jimmym

I had sciatica last year and couldn't even walk. Woke up one day, a week or so later and it was just gone, poof. Went back running at full pelt.

Second injury I had was a torn psoas\iliacus tendon deep in my hip\groin. No amount of physio or needling could fix it, it just took time. Still had it on the start line at New York but not so bad. After mile 10 it just went, no pain, nothing so just drove on. I didn't run at all for a whole 4 weeks before it.

Rest up for a bit and see how it goes

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Andy Dunne

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼