Training Run Times

Would you recommend an easy 5 miles friday? i can do that,
Yeah, I would. As I was building up my running I went from the old 3-times-a-week to 5 or so and eventually 7. But for the first few marathons I'd say I was doing 5 a week and hitting approx 50 miles a week. Then later when I was trying to add a bit of speed and dip under the old sub 3 I reached about 70 miles a week max. Now, after a persistent injury I'm starting that journey again in a way. Back up to about 5 a week but with very little 'Quality'. One slightly faster session and all the rest fairly easy. Cork will be your first 42.2 right? I'd be looking to up the old training now. Mostly volume, one or two Q sessions a week. Some people speak of 'junk' miles but I don't believe that; I think easy stuff is key as it builds a base and helps avoid injuries. I see guys now on Strava doing incredible workouts and then they're banjaxed for months afterwards.

If you read back a few hundred pages here (!!!) You'll see the Terrier, meself and another few of the oldies posting their training from week to week. There are more ways to train for a marathon than there are to skin a Kilkenny man. Pick one and go for it! You've got 3.5 months now if I'm not mistaken. Keep us posted and share the journey.

Yeah, I would. As I was building up my running I went from the old 3-times-a-week to 5 or so and eventually 7. But for the first few marathons I'd say I was doing 5 a week and hitting approx 50 miles a week. Then later when I was trying to add a bit of speed and dip under the old sub 3 I reached about 70 miles a week max. Now, after a persistent injury I'm starting that journey again in a way. Back up to about 5 a week but with very little 'Quality'. One slightly faster session and all the rest fairly easy. Cork will be your first 42.2 right? I'd be looking to up the old training now. Mostly volume, one or two Q sessions a week. Some people speak of 'junk' miles but I don't believe that; I think easy stuff is key as it builds a base and helps avoid injuries. I see guys now on Strava doing incredible workouts and then they're banjaxed for months afterwards.

If you read back a few hundred pages here (!!!) You'll see the Terrier, meself and another few of the oldies posting their training from week to week. There are more ways to train for a marathon than there are to skin a Kilkenny man. Pick one and go for it! You've got 3.5 months now if I'm not mistaken. Keep us posted and share the journey.
Cheers for that, I am working off a plan of Monday lunchtime 30 mins in gym , TUES night speed, weds lunchtime easy 5 m, thursday
6 miles midway between easy and pace, sunday long run, 14 this sunday, open to tweaking it as i go along,

Jimmy, I always wonder about Speed in marathon training for, shall we say 'sub-elites' like us. Ok, non-elites. I wonder what 400m reps or even 1km reps do for us, especially around km 30 in the race itself! I don't think any of us are thinking, fook, shoulda done another few of those 400s at that stage. Now, that said, there was some speed in the Hansons method that I used for my last serious marathon (Valencia 2019). After about 6 weeks it changed to 'Strength': longer reps at easier pace. That plan wouldn't be for everyone, especially with the lack of long runs. The longest being 26k. (I cheated and did 30k) It was a six day a week plan but again I tweaked that and made it 7 cos the rest day (Wednesday) came between two quality sessions and I felt I needed a short easy Rec run between them.
Anyway, for you right now, what jumps out at me is the Friday+Sat. rest...... Strange, man. I'd definitely try to get out on the Sat. for a nice easy run. And as the plan progresses, I'd up the distance nice and slowly on that. Either that or I'd look to elongate the Thurs session. Whichever you think works better for you. I'm guessing the Sunday run increases as you get towards May. The other lads might have another idea or two and at the end of the day, it's you must make the calls, of course. If you lined up Smurf (2.26), Terrier (2.51), TimeO (2.56 or was it 7?) and meself (2.57) we'd all have slightly different approaches. Look forward to seeing your progress, and remember rule number 1...... Get to the start line.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Soho Nights

The Pavilion, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼