Tommy Tiernan on RTE One

I've seen enough racism over my life that I wouldn't dare tell a black person who lives here when she or he should or shouldn't be offended.
If someone thinks she's being over the top in her reaction looking for a public apology etc, that's one thing. But there's been a racist pile on against her on social media from the usual nameless, faceless cowards, which is completely out of order.
What?
Seriously?
People on social media saying racist and unacceptable things behind the cloak of anonymity?
When did this start happening?
Why haven't they blocked social media already?

I liked Tommy but his interviews are all getting a bit similar now..

Asks a question
Pauses after reply to demonstrate that the answer was deeply intellectual.
Asks a further question, nods head slowly to show he's digesting the enormity of what's being said.
Long pause and eye stare at end of interview followed by a thank you for being here.

Wash rinse repeat.

I liked Tommy but his interviews are all getting a bit similar now..

Asks a question
Pauses after reply to demonstrate that the answer was deeply intellectual.
Asks a further question, nods head slowly to show he's digesting the enormity of what's being said.
Long pause and eye stare at end of interview followed by a thank you for being here.

Wash rinse repeat.

Nobody said it was high-brow, but I think he suits the format. Some celebrities, some z listers. All with a story to tell. And in fairness to TT he does a better interview than anyone else I can think of in RTE.

I didn't say it would be racist to mock Kerrymen, I said it could be stopped in a Woke World if a kerryman (non-binary version of the word naturally) took offence to it.

If standup comedy is taking a funny look at the everyday in the world around us then if we say you can't comment on black people because you're not black, and you can't comment on waiters because you're not a waiter; you can't comment on sports people because you don't play sports etc etc, where is it all to end? It ends with there being no standup comedians taking a funny look at life for fear someone, anyone, in their audience could take offence.

Given TT's usual material it seems this black lady was quite happy to go to his gig and have him do his usual and mock peoples' accents, have a pop at travelers, have a pop at drive-through McDonalds etc etc, people from Donegal "like goths on crack", Athlone "the most depressing place in the country" etc etc but how very dare he make a joke or an observation about black people. Did she go along to be offended, or was she OK with other people being mocked?

Being a waiter is a job, as is being a sports person. Being black isn't.

Being a waiter is a job, as is being a sports person. Being black isn't.

Kerrymen
Travelers
Corkonians
People from Athlone
etc
etc

All are very regularly the subject of Tommy Tiernan's comedy. Did yer wan go to be offended by his show, or was she quite OK with his making jokes at their expense but drew the line when it came to black taxi drivers. And by the way, black taxi drivers are exactly that. They're black, and they drive taxis. Just as white bus drivers are white, and drive busses.

Kerrymen
Travelers
Corkonians
People from Athlone
etc
etc

All are very regularly the subject of Tommy Tiernan's comedy. Did yer wan go to be offended by his show, or was she quite OK with his making jokes at their expense but drew the line when it came to black taxi drivers. And by the way, black taxi drivers are exactly that. They're black, and they drive taxis. Just as white bus drivers are white, and drive busses.
If a person of colour takes offence at a racist “joke” it’s offensive.
You don’t get to tell people of colour what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.

If a person of colour takes offence at a racist “joke” it’s offensive.
You don’t get to tell people of colour what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.

Utter bollocks.

What is and isn't offensive is entirely subjective.

I can't tell you what to take offence over but I can certainly judge if you're a focking idiot.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Eamonn McCormak Band

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼