Toilet Signage

I don't think anyone is preaching intolerance but at the mere mention of questioning what is appropriate to be teaching our primary school age children you had the usual poster shrill and hysterical about this is somehow denying gay and trans peoples right to exist.

Joe Duffy debate 2.0 and complete bollocks.

I fail to see how we can stop gender based violence by indoctrinating 6 year olds with gender identity politics.

It serves no purpose but to cause confusion and distress.
Indoctrination?

If your position is "we can't tell the children about trans people" then that is impacting on their right to exist. Because it indicates that somehow it us something that children need to be shielded from.

What if your kids had a trans teacher Dan? Would that not be allowed in case it " confused" the children?

We had gay/trans rights advocates give a talk at a neighbouring school. They told them that if they wish to come out they can pass a note to their parents and its a brave thing to do. This to 7 year olds.

Of course you had a flurry of now majorly confused children passing notes to their parents about being bisexual etc without any understanding of what that entails.

Parents are then put in a position of having to explain that this involves having sex with people of the same gender. Perhaps this is a conversation they want to have with their kids at a time of their choosing instead of having it foisted on them by a minority interest group

No, this is course is secondary to pleasing NGOs and vocal rights groups. Education in our primary schools is going in some pretty outlandish directions.
Why would any parent explain bisexuality to a 6 year old in terms of having sex?

"Some boys like boys, some boys like girls, some boys like boys and girls". It's hardly rocket science like.

That's a parenting issue, not a school one.

What does " children must be allowed to be children" actually mean though? Why does talking about gender expression stop them from being children?
I suspect you know very well what I mean.

Do you mind if I ask a favour? Try to detach your view on transgender rights and gender identification which fwiw I think we probably are not too far away on - with children or more specifically primary education.

Education in a school is one size fits all, unless there is exemptions due to special educational needs etc. Therefore to exempt a child from trans or gender identification education would actually drive a difference that is not there at all - point being if we are to allow it it would be difficult if not impossible to opt out.

Children do not understand sexuality when they're small. That's as it should be. Kids find it hard to understand why some kids like them and others don't. Gender which is a social construct adults struggle with has no business in their heads. They are nor supposed to understand it. They're supposed to be having fun, making friends , trying their best , playing sports, hoping to be invited to birthday parties, making lists for Santa, dressing up for Halloween. That's what being a child is about.

I fundamentally disagree with any insistence that adult issues of gender, trans, identification should be anywhere near primary school kids except in some way to tell them , as I said, that feeling different is ok.

Why? They are not capable of understanding it properly and they shouldn't be made to because an adult with an agenda wants to force adult concepts on to them to prove a point.

You're a highly intelligent person. You experience people through your practice who find it difficult to operate within the bounds of our laws - as adults. But at least they understand the consequences of their actions. How is an 8 year old girl called Siobhán supposed to comprehend that her friend Aisling today wants to be known as Aodhán. Forget accepting it, understanding the implications of it, just comprehending that today maybe Aisling wants to be related to as a boy and doesn't want to talk to girls.

You know very well the problem with teaching primary kids these concepts. Like I said originally, there's a difference between supporting and championing trans rights and forcing trans concepts on kids who are not capable of understanding them just to serve an agenda.

Kids must be allowed to be kids.

If you detach your advocacy for trans rights from what is in the best interests of primary school children and evaluate primary school kids for where they are physically, emotionally and maturity wise - I suspect you know yourself it shouldn't happen. And that it shouldn't happen in no way diminishes the case for trans rights and advocacy.

I suspect you know very well what I mean.

Do you mind if I ask a favour? Try to detach your view on transgender rights and gender identification which fwiw I think we probably are not too far away on - with children or more specifically primary education.

Education in a school is one size fits all, unless there is exemptions due to special educational needs etc. Therefore to exempt a child from trans or gender identification education would actually drive a difference that is not there at all - point being if we are to allow it it would be difficult if not impossible to opt out.

Children do not understand sexuality when they're small. That's as it should be. Kids find it hard to understand why some kids like them and others don't. Gender which is a social construct adults struggle with has no business in their heads. They are nor supposed to understand it. They're supposed to be having fun, making friends , trying their best , playing sports, hoping to be invited to birthday parties, making lists for Santa, dressing up for Halloween. That's what being a child is about.

I fundamentally disagree with any insistence that adult issues of gender, trans, identification should be anywhere near primary school kids except in some way to tell them , as I said, that feeling different is ok.

Why? They are not capable of understanding it properly and they shouldn't be made to because an adult with an agenda wants to force adult concepts on to them to prove a point.

You're a highly intelligent person. You experience people through your practice who find it difficult to operate within the bounds of our laws - as adults. But at least they understand the consequences of their actions. How is an 8 year old girl called Siobhán supposed to comprehend that her friend Aisling today wants to be known as Aodhán. Forget accepting it, understanding the implications of it, just comprehending that today maybe Aisling wants to be related to as a boy and doesn't want to talk to girls.

You know very well the problem with teaching primary kids these concepts. Like I said originally, there's a difference between supporting and championing trans rights and forcing trans concepts on kids who are not capable of understanding them just to serve an agenda.

If you detach your advocacy for trans rights from what is in the best interests of primary school children and evaluate primary school kids for where they are physically, emotionally and maturity wise - I suspect you know yourself it shouldn't happen. And that it shouldn't happen in no way diminishes the case for trans rights and advocacy.
I genuinely dont know what meant by it. That's why I keep questioning it.

Trans children will exist whether other kids are educated about them or not. So the choices are that either Siobhan learns ( in an age appropriate way) about gender so she can understand if her friend does transition or Siobhan doesn't learn about it and has to try and figure it out for herself when her friend transitions. It also ( and maybe I'm picking you up wrong on this) seems based on thd idea they if children are educated on trans issues then they will mistakenly identify as trans. If you do think that, can I ask why?

Why do you consider explaining gender expression to kids " forcing" trans concepts on them?

To me, that all seems based on a notion that somehow this isn't something that children should be exposed to because its complex, but the reality is we explain complex things to kids all the time. Death, war, galaxy formation. Those are things I've spoken to my kids about within the last month. Explaining that some people doing feel like the gender they were given at birth matches how they feel is much easier than explaining that Pluto isn't a planet anymore!

Yes I agree but shur we already force feed them nonsense about a man in the sky that will either send them to heaven or the fiery depths of hell.
As for your example of Siobhan and Aisling, I get your worry for Siobhan grappling to understand, just a pity you could afford the same concern for Aisling and what she is grappling with.

Indoctrination?

If your position is "we can't tell the children about trans people" then that is impacting on their right to exist. Because it indicates that somehow it us something that children need to be shielded from.

What if your kids had a trans teacher Dan? Would that not be allowed in case it " confused" the children?

Again you're just making stuff up.

Matlock : 'so what you're saying is you're in favour of the holocaust'. Go on from there.

You cant discuss anything without doing it. Its pitiful.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Danny Ryan, and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼