Tidal pool in Cork

Myself & my kids were jumping off the pier at Knockadoon at high tide 7pm earlier. Tiz great for the soul. We went to Ballycroneen beach yesterday at 1:30 for low tide. It’s a little gem of a beach for East Cork. Has to be low tide though. Will head west for the weekend for the Caribbean effect 🏊‍♂️ ☀️
Ballycroneen was our beach of choice when I was a kid. Its a lovely spot. Need to head down there again pronto

And, at low tide you can walk/paddle across to Ringabella from the sand trombolo at Fountainstown beach west. Less than knee deep.

View attachment 12526

Looked across from both sides a few times but never risked walking it. Interesting to hear it's only knee deep at low tide. Always imagined that there was a central piece that was always too deep to wade. God be good to the poor fellah who drowned trying to swim back from Sean na mBáds.

I vaguely remember that incident. I walked across a few weeks ago and if I was wearing wellies the water in the middle would have been a few inches from the top of the wellies. Back in the day, fadó fadó, I was at a beach party there that went on until morning and we were swimming on our backs, back and forth, having races. More innocent times and still great craic.

Last edited:
Looked across from both sides a few times but never risked walking it. Interesting to hear it's only knee deep at low tide. Always imagined that there was a central piece that was always too deep to wade. God be good to the poor fellah who drowned trying to swim back from Sean na mBáds.
If the tide is going in or out there’s a fairly wild current over that side of the beach.

If the tide is going in or out there’s a fairly wild current over that side of the beach.
I must have walked it recently when the tide was fully out and not moving much. I've seen it fully in on a windy day and the waves are rushing in at a fierce rate.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Garron Noone

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼