Tidal pool in Cork

According to the Water Safety Ireland 80 people drowned in Irish waters last year.

The average is 110 per year.

80% of these occur in the victims home county and happen quickly and silently.

Don't become a statistic, go to a swimming pool, where a paid lifeguard can ensure your safety.

Leave the landscape photography to the pros.
The number of people who drown is a meaningless stat in terms of assessing risk unless you can also provide a figure for the number of people who swim.

Also, fyi, lots of beaches have paid lifeguards too.

But we both know that this has nothing to do with your opinion on swimming and everything to do with you wanting to have a little bitch at me.

You should try sea swimming, it might improve your mood ;-)

I'd say their families would disagree.

It's a risky activity, people should be aware of this.
Saying it is a meaningless stat in no way diminishes their loss.

You can't claim that it is "risky" unless you know what percentage of swimming sessions end in drowning. If only 200 people swam last year and 110 of them drowned then it is indeed risky. If 1 million people swam last year and 110 of then drowned then it isn't risky.

Saying it is a meaningless stat in no way diminishes their loss.

You can't claim that it is "risky" unless you know what percentage of swimming sessions end in drowning. If only 200 people swam last year and 110 of them drowned then it is indeed risky. If 1 million people swam last year and 110 of then drowned then it isn't risky.

110 lives on average per annum says otherwise.

Like I said, don't become a statistic.

Swimming in safe conditions is a wonderful form of exercise and lifts the spirits. How many people in Ireland died from obesity related conditions last year? Get off your arse.

Anyways back to subject of the thread.

Dg93hzbWsAIbgaU

Would it help to meet with others? I swim with my brothers and my SIL most of the time and it is great for motivation.

I think swimming in a group is a great idea. Not just alone from the safety point of view, or the chat and catching up, but the group-motivation. That not-wanting-to-let-the-others-down can be that extra 5% that gets you in on a day when you might feel you'd rather not. And each of ye gets the boost from the others.

I think swimming in a group is a great idea. Not just alone from the safety point of view, or the chat and catching up, but the group-motivation. That not-wanting-to-let-the-others-down can be that extra 5% that gets you in on a day when you might feel you'd rather not. And each of ye gets the boost from the others.
Someone said to me recently that he never regrets going in, no matter how reluctant he might have been beforehand.

Someone said to me recently that he never regrets going in, no matter how reluctant he might have been beforehand.

Bang on. Once you get in (and have aclimatised after less than a minute) you feel great. Must be some kind of endorphin rush. Can't recommend it highly enough tbh. And all this from someone who generally stayed away from sea swimming til I was in my 50s.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Robot Dreams (G)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼