the wine thread

Haven't been in a position to buy nice stuff for a little while and I fear it'll be a year or two more before I'm back in clover of sorts. Wife picked up this fella for 7.75 the other day .La Miranda de Secastilla Garnacha Somontano. Thought it was lovely there at lunch. I'll be sending her back for a half dozen anyway!! Probably a bit more in Da Republic of course.

Called into The Wine Buff in town yesterday. Picked up a few bottles, not my normal haunt for the noble rot but I was passing by.

I like good customer service but the French wan in there is after becoming as bad as the baldy fella in the Denim Store. She stood right next to me from the minute I walked in - the fucking gaff was empty - "Do you need help? What is it you're after? Is it for yourself? How much do you want to spend?" and on and on she went.

I said to her "I'm grand. No, honestly, I know what I want. You're grand. Thanks. No, totally fine."

I had five bottles picked out and on the counter (roughly 130 bob) meanwhile she was plucking other things off shelves and telling me that they'd go well with my choices. The other person working there was ringing my stuff up when your wan goes "Are you going to take any of the ones that I suggested?" pointing at 5 or 6 bottle on the table in the centre of the shop. I told her I was grand and she started tutting and going on wasting her time.

I was in the shop for a grand total of about 5 minutes, told her that I fine repeatedly, picked exactly what I wanted and dropped over a hundred quid in there.

This is why I go to Curious Wines for everything. They're sound, they know their stuff and they'll leave you the fuck alone until you engage one of them.

Yea culchies are lucky to have a curious store to actually visit. I'm still doing lidl and aldi wall to wall. Siglo GR ... mmmm nice. Not blown away (for a big brand Rioja). But I still seem to have bought 24 bottles. But goes down VERY easy. Gonna hit supervalu and Tesco this week. Think Dunnes also have 20% off at the moment

don't think i have ever heard someone rating wines by supermarket before. maybe you could start a newspaper column.
To be fair Dunnes would be by far and away the best option in terms of supermarkets, they have a really decent selection of wines and tend to discount them to a level that’s actually bordering on value if you hit them at the right time

To be fair Dunnes would be by far and away the best option in terms of supermarkets, they have a really decent selection of wines and tend to discount them to a level that’s actually bordering on value if you hit them at the right time

I’ve not had great luck with Dunnes, shout out anything that looks interesting over the next few weeks. Now that the Italians are giving us the cold shoulder.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼