the wine thread

are the independent off licences really worth it? super markets usually have a great selection, is it really worth forking over the extra for what usually tastes the same?

It depends on the off licence TBF - there are those just selling you the same old shite but there are others with a far better selection than the supermarkets. The big chains do their deals and rarely change what the have, to be fair to them the value is hard to beat sometimes. It also depends on the supermarket, some of the Dunne’s have really good selections of wines now and well beyond the big obvious names you would expect. SuperValu stocks some really decent wines as well

I've put in a tester order with a new crowd called Torri Cantine doing a small range of Abruzzo wines. They have a big discount on a couple (think 10 euro down to 4.95) and they say Delivery is free over 50 bucks, so I've asked for 6 of the cheapos and another 6 of Montepulciano at about 7.50 a bottle! I'll keep ye informed. Ireland appears as "Coming Soon" on their list of delivery countries, but the usual caveats apply I suppose.

I'll be getting a couple of boxes of their white for when one or two of my sisters visit after Covid!

Jesus the Italian wine arrived. Free delivery and the quickest I've ever had. Great service. Hope the wine is somewhere near the delivery quality.

Jesus the Italian wine arrived. Free delivery and the quickest I've ever had. Great service. Hope the wine is somewhere near the delivery quality.

I got a case of these 2012 reservas yesterday.. I'd rarely order that much of the same bottle as I like to try different wines all of the time.. but this stuff is ONREAL :)

2vxhZiSISWy_RzuqXJbpCA_pb_x600.png

Edit: image replaced with the right one :lol!:

Last edited:
I've put in a tester order with a new crowd called Torri Cantine doing a small range of Abruzzo wines. They have a big discount on a couple (think 10 euro down to 4.95) and they say Delivery is free over 50 bucks, so I've asked for 6 of the cheapos and another 6 of Montepulciano at about 7.50 a bottle! I'll keep ye informed. Ireland appears as "Coming Soon" on their list of delivery countries, but the usual caveats apply I suppose.

I'll be getting a couple of boxes of their white for when one or two of my sisters visit after Covid!

looks like they are shipping to ireland now but €45 shipping!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼