the wine thread

??? Mate. Did I say it wasn't sweet???

Here's a small linky for ya.

Interesting read! I know nothing at all about sherry, sounds like a complex enough affair. That’s system of stacking the barrels and drawing off the bottom makes so much sense!

How would it compare with port to taste?

Interesting read! I know nothing at all about sherry, sounds like a complex enough affair. That’s system of stacking the barrels and drawing off the bottom makes so much sense!

How would it compare with port to taste?
One of the main differences with port would be the wide range of Sherry, from the bone dry to the very sweet. Now, some of the latter would be similar enough to the Portuguese stuff to an uneducated palate like mine. I've never compared and contrasted in a tasting mind. Yeah, the Solera system is interesting alright, quite the Southern Spanish thing.

Remember too that Jerez wines were the biggest and best internationally for a long time but went out of fashion and the wine world went more to the dry red which persists today. A project there for ya Honky when you get that bit older.

Remember too that Jerez wines were the biggest and best internationally for a long time but went out of fashion and the wine world went more to the dry red which persists today. A project there for ya Honky when you get that bit older.
Ha.. Always up for a wine project!

Ive been giving Italian sweet wines a go over the last while but infrequently, they make some amazing stuff. The likes of reccioto is the obvious one but I prefer the white vin santos from the north, absolutely superb. Same in the south, some of the passitos from Sicily are delicious

3500610135248_0.jpg

A very solid 2020 St. Emilion GC in Aldi.

Bit aggressively grippy on first taste (15 mins after decant) but opened up very well after another 15.

The website lists it at €14.99. It was €13 in-store the other day.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Aidan Killian - Comedian

The Richmond Revival, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼