The Rangers FC (2012)

on amazon prime now

Rangers72
From the makers of ‘Take Us Home: Leeds United’ comes one of the most important and defining footballing stories never told: Rangers72. The story of a team who, against all odds, embarked on incredible journey to the European Cup Winners Cup Final in Barcelona and in doing so, lifted a club, a city and themselves to new heights and left their mark on history forever.

Presumably the club they lifted was their own, winning the Cup "Winners" (they'd actually not won the Scottish Cup the previous season but because Celtic had won the League as well they were involved in the European Cup) Cup.

They certainly left their mark on history forever being the first, and I think only club to date, not allowed to defend their trophy in Europe because of the outrageous behaviour of their rioting fans.

The final I think had 7 different pitch invasions by Rangers fans on the day as their Russian opponents looked like reining them in, and the trophy ended up being presented to Rangers in the toilet alongside their dressing room. Thus establishing their traditional link with Spanish toilets ;)

In fairness I think they were the only team to win a European trophy having "gone out" in a penalty shoot out. Story went that it was the first season UEFA were using the "away goals " rule (abolished only recently) and when the two teams ended "level" the ref held a penalty shoot-out which Rangers lost. I think it was a Scottish journalist who told them in their dressing room afterwards when they were trying to console themselves, that they'd actually won the tie under the new "away goals count double" rule.

Presumably the club they lifted was their own, winning the Cup "Winners" (they'd actually not won the Scottish Cup the previous season but because Celtic had won the League as well they were involved in the European Cup) Cup.

They certainly left their mark on history forever being the first, and I think only club to date, not allowed to defend their trophy in Europe because of the outrageous behaviour of their rioting fans.

The final I think had 7 different pitch invasions by Rangers fans on the day as their Russian opponents looked like reining them in, and the trophy ended up being presented to Rangers in the toilet alongside their dressing room. Thus establishing their traditional link with Spanish toilets ;)

In fairness I think they were the only team to win a European trophy having "gone out" in a penalty shoot out. Story went that it was the first season UEFA were using the "away goals " rule (abolished only recently) and when the two teams ended "level" the ref held a penalty shoot-out which Rangers lost. I think it was a Scottish journalist who told them in their dressing room afterwards when they were trying to console themselves, that they'd actually won the tie under the new "away goals count double" rule.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Triggered by an Amazon Documentary.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Triggered by an Amazon Documentary.

Triggered???? :oops:

:ROFLMAO:

I'm actually laughing at it Earl. They're for ever in the shadow of the Lions, so much so that there's probably a sizeable contingent who never even heard of their run to the final and behaviour at it so Netflix or whoever have done a documentary on it.

🤔
Huns got the shite beaten out of them by "Franco's Finest" that night!

🤔
In the 1969/70 EC Celtic went through against Benfica after tie finished level over two games. The ref tossed a coin to decide.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼