The Official Tennis Thread

Congrats to Med, a worthy champion. At 25, that break-through GS win was coming. He handled the occasion well and will win many more hard court titles in the future.

One match too far for Novak, but still a great year. Now needs another long rest and hopefully recover for Australia.

yup, happy for Medvedev, played sensational tennis, his games of serves were so impressive (got nervous towards the end and gave a coupe of cheap points away with double faults)

Djoko had plenty chances to get back into the game, he was 40 love up on Medvedev's serve at the start of the 2nd set and got a few more break points chances

Whilst I'd have liked Djokovic to get the golden slam, it's no big deal, he'll get his hands on a few more GS and break the 21 GS record, no stress

Nice and surprising to see him getting emotional breaking down in tears at 5-4 in the 3rd, he certainly ain't used to having the vast majority of the crowd cheering for him

Last edited:
start of the final:

Djoko goes on to lose the game and KD's back in a blink of an eye
thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif

:lol!:

yup, happy for Medvedev, played sensational tennis, his games of serves were so impressive (got nervous towards the end and gave a coupe of cheap points away with double faults)

Djoko had plenty chances to get back into the game, he was 40 love up on Medvedev's serve at the start of the 2nd set and got a few more break points chances

Whilst I'd have liked Djokovic to get the golden slam, it's no big deal, he'll get his hands on a few more GS and break the 21 GS record, no stress

Nice and surprising to see him getting emotional breaking down in tears at 5-4 in the 3rd, he certainly ain't used to having the vast majority of the crowd cheering for him
i fear you are right, it would be perfect though if Nadal, Fed and Joker all finished on 20, we have been so lucky to have enjoyed this era. 60 out of 72 GS tournaments. Also a bit strange how the big three have failed to dominate the US like they have the others-nine different winners in last 14 tournaments.
gysredfgre.jpg

If Djokovic had to lose to anyone, you'd want it to be Medvedev, the most likeable of the NextGen players.

Like the Australian final, the game itself wasn't great as a spectacle. Styles makes fights, and Med's and Nole's are maybe too similar.

Djokovic admitted afterwards he was relieved the Calendar Grand Slam stuff was finally over. The build up must have been fairly intense since January. Serena wilted under the same pressure against De Vinci.

Novak lost 22 sets in Grand Slams this year, yet still managed to win three titles and reach another final. The gap to the NextGen on hard courts is closing, but you'd fancy him to dominate on grass for another while.

Novaxx to miss the Aus Open?

Novak Djokovic could be denied the chance to win a record 21st career Grand Slam at January's Australian Open.

The state of Victoria has imposed a vaccine mandate which requires "authorised workers" to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the end of November.

Djokovic has been militantly opposed to vaccines becoming mandatory for players.

Speaking earlier this year, the Serb said, "I don't think it'll come to that. I hope not, because I've always believed in freedom of choice."

Djokovic added, "And I will keep the decision as to whether I'm going to get vaccinated or not to myself.

"It's an intimate decision, and I don't want to go into this game of pro and against vaccines, which the media is unfortunately creating these days.

"I don't want to be labeled as someone who is against or who is for vaccines. I'm not going to answer the question ... and hope that everyone will respect that."

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Dylan Brinkley

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼