The Official Swimming Thread

Am out in Spain this week as Team Manager at the Dolphin high-performance training camp at the Crol centre in Calella - massive learning as always. The swimmers are putting in two two-hour sessions in the water, an hour in the gym and two 30-minute core/activation sessions each day. Yoga or Pilates then every second day. They are really coming on. No national squads here this year - due to the worlds being on last week - but a good few development squads (Poland, Italy, Germany “South”) and two or three Norwegian clubs, like us, preparing for their national championships. The focus and commitment- as well as the facilities- are just so far ahead of anything that’s possible in Ireland. Great too to share and listen to ideas with the other squads. Just one of the squads here (you can guess which one) has to: 1. Pay every cent of the costs of the camp themselves 2. Train in an antiquated 1970’s 25m leisure facility for the other 50 weeks of the year

Savage going.
What age are the Kids? 5.5 hours a day is some going. Its different in camp I'm sure with the "we're all in it together" mentality that comes with being away

Great experience for them. The younger Dolphin kids are coming out of the pool as we're heading in most weeks.
They seem to be have great craic in fairness

Great turnout at the Lee Swim yesterday. 500 hardy souls delivered the 2k. Somewhat of a major ballsup by the organisers though - Hannah O’Shea won the race - beat everyone and was first to the line. First time ever in close to 100 years that a female had won the overall race. The organisers didn’t even mention it at the prizegiving. Handed out the mens cup first then the womens (smaller) cup like it was business as usual. Very poor show. The event itself was great craic. I had swum precisely 5 times since the Lee swim in 2019 so I was happy to plod down along in the middle of the field and get the annual view of Cork from beneath!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼