The Official Swimming Thread

Daniel Wiffen going in the 800 final in the worlds at budapest today at 17.02
Yeah, his steady improvement continues - a real beneficiary of the Ireland development program and has also really come on in big leaps since the move to Loughborough. Took four seconds off his 800m PB in the heat, which is fair going. He was the complete surprise package at the Olympics, and really sealed the deal in Tokyo due to his ability to PB in big races - that's not at all a given for swimmers at the Olympics. He had some major PBs in the heats there.
His form has continued, and now his times are up there with the best.

This event used to be bossed by Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett - all in the high 7:30s / low 7:40s, then the scoobydubious Chinese lads made big inroads around 10-12 years ago (along with a fella from Tunisia, that noted swimming powerhouse). The records have remained static since those feens were ushered off the stage. Assuming there's none of that craic going on ATM, then Wiffen should be right up there - but would not be favoured for a medal today.
However, whatever about shorter distances, to achieve over the longer distance is a real sign of a quality program and is another feather in the cap for Swim Ireland and for John Rudd. They have made Herculean efforts over the past 5 or 6 years, let's hope it can continue after Rudd's departure.
Wiffen is that rare endurance athlete - consistent, big-event-focused, and able to peak at precisely the right time - long may he continue.

Grant Hackett now there's a blast from the past. Was the 1500m a new event at the Sydney games? I remember him hammering the field. He was a different league to the rest of them

Grant Hackett now there's a blast from the past. Was the 1500m a new event at the Sydney games? I remember him hammering the field. He was a different league to the rest of them
Yeah he beat Perkins, the sentimental favourite, by a decent stretch. The 1500 has always been at the Olympics AFAIK Guapo - I remember the Yanks and the Russians going at it when I was a kid. Up until Tokyo 2021, it was only a men's event but since then there's been a female event too. LOL, real women only too, after Sunday's announcement.

Yeah he beat Perkins, the sentimental favourite, by a decent stretch. The 1500 has always been at the Olympics AFAIK Guapo - I remember the Yanks and the Russians going at it when I was a kid. Up until Tokyo 2021, it was only a men's event but since then there's been a female event too. LOL, real women only too, after Sunday's announcement.
You're spot on. I checked after. All the way back to 1908

Wiffen the youngest in the field tonight - at 20 years of age, he's 4 years younger than the average age of the lineup. Goes in lane 2, at least he's not out on the edge this time.

He was 8th
Stuck in work and missed it - what time did he do?

Edit - just found the results there. Jaysus, he dropped right off with a +4 sec from the heat. A PB would have gotten top 5. Just shows, Finke and the lads crusing yesterday while Wiffen had to swim his nuts off to make the final. Still, he made it, and that's a decent show. He's also in the 1500 on Friday - hope he recovers OK.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼