The Official Swimming Thread

Ireland losing their Head coach to OZ. Retention of Coaching talent seems to be a major issue for Sport Ireland
For sure - and John Rudd will move on too. I'd still see the current set up as a big improvement on the past - you have up and coming international high achievers attracted to the Irish high performance setup. Sure, they are keen to move to bigger programs with more chance of Olympic medals or maybe bigger programs in their home countries.

However, while they are here they have every incentive to achieve - that's what secures them the next big move. Since their success - and ability - is measured in Irish performances then that's good for everyone.

Morten Esperson the Rowing HP Director, moved on a few years ago (post-Rio) in the same way. What you need is a strong, structured system which has buy-in from the clubs so that the next HP director or coach can slot in and keep the impovements going. Esperson was replaced by Giovanni and on we went. Of course, having the likes of Dominic Casey around the place does no harm either.

For sure - and John Rudd will move on too. I'd still see the current set up as a big improvement on the past - you have up and coming international high achievers attracted to the Irish high performance setup. Sure, they are keen to move to bigger programs with more chance of Olympic medals or maybe bigger programs in their home countries.

However, while they are here they have every incentive to achieve - that's what secures them the next big move. Since their success - and ability - is measured in Irish performances then that's good for everyone.

Morten Esperson the Rowing HP Director, moved on a few years ago (post-Rio) in the same way. What you need is a strong, structured system which has buy-in from the clubs so that the next HP director or coach can slot in and keep the impovements going. Esperson was replaced by Giovanni and on we went. Of course, having the likes of Dominic Casey around the place does no harm either.
God yeah. I had forgotten about Esperson. As far as i know. He got the hump when the IARU wanted to out a High performance committee in place alongside him. I think he thought it was an oversight committee. I think it was intended as a way to take some of the more mundane stuff out of his responsibility.
He did loads for Heavyweight Rowing. It had pretty much been left to rot since Neville Maxwell's boat in 96 or whenever
I think the womens squads weren't as happy with him. A major loss at the time though as youn say. The Danish lightweights were the best in the world under him

Dave McCullagh International is the main Irish meet this weekend - some serious big guns in the water over the four days. Great to see real competitions back on the calendar.

Live coverage of this morning's session here - they don't allow it through bulletin boards so just click on the "Watch on Youtube" link

Nice one. The live stream is great. Very high quality. A nice few young cork athletes in there.

Is that Andy Bree on the Mike? He's playing a blinder given every event has about 6 heats. Must be hard to keep it going.

Will definitely check out the finals sessions

Yep - Andrew Bree. He does all the commentating live at the big meets in the NAC too. He’s excellent- you should hear him working the crowd before the big events like the mens’ 50 Fly or 100 Free - he really gets it pumping.

I’ve been down on deck doing timer or turn-judge for some of those big final nights and it’s absolutely electric - national medals and national records up for grabs and the athletes swimming out of their skin to beat the Olympians and each other. Some buzz.

I remember one year I was stewarding at the national short course championships. Mona McSharry was away at the Europeans and all the talk was that the “Mona” events wouldn’t spark nearly as much. Next thing Maria Godden comes out and breaks Mona’s national record in the 200IM in a fingertip finish. Total hush as everyone awaited confirmation and then Bree bursts onto the speakers and hollers the news. Pandemonium ensues and the poor girl burst into tears inside in the pool - all those years in Mona’s shadow wiped away for one night anyway. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Epic stuff.

Jack MacMillan beats Olympic Gold medalist Tom Dean to the touch in the final of the 200 free - sweet result for the Irish record holder. 1:48 is a decent time for February too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼