The Official Swimming Thread

There are 2 in Dublin. The NAC and UCD. Its a joke alright. Its been taken on a few times most recently in 2019 by a fella called Niall Kenny. He's a keen swimmer and sponsors the rebel plunge. Chair of the CBA or Cork Chamber at one stage

He got enough attention to get John Buttemer to ask a question about funding during a council session.

The council flunky gave the standard answer that there is no budget for it and it would cost 63 million. Which was the price of the NAC. Its bollocks because the councillors just leave it there. But the NAC was a joke. The state got screwed by a UK operator on a design/build/operate contract. There was a problem with the roof (it leaked like a sieve) and the state paid for remediation.

There are standard design templates from sport England outlining how 50m pools with a gym can be built for 15million sterling. A long way from 63 million euro and you'd imagine a reasonable comparator for irish construction costs.

The other line the council have is a 50m pool would only be used by elite swimmers who are well served by having a pool 90km away in Limerick. Which is a level of bollocks I don't need to comment on except to say that all pools in cork appear to be oversubscribed from what I can make out

In fairness to Niall Kenny he got a Lido (outdoor 50m pool) into the City development plan.

It would be nice for a bit of ambition for the city to at least put a 50m pool, velodrome, indoor arena, massive AstroTurf area into the plan and earmark a bit of ground for it somewhere within the city. They may all be pipe dreams but shouldn't be.
Would you say we should we do not have a plethora of 50m swimming pools in Cork, el Guapo? :D

Sorry couldn't resist.

There are 2 in Dublin. The NAC and UCD. Its a joke alright. Its been taken on a few times most recently in 2019 by a fella called Niall Kenny. He's a keen swimmer and sponsors the rebel plunge. Chair of the CBA or Cork Chamber at one stage

He got enough attention to get John Buttemer to ask a question about funding during a council session.

The council flunky gave the standard answer that there is no budget for it and it would cost 63 million. Which was the price of the NAC. Its bollocks because the councillors just leave it there. But the NAC was a joke. The state got screwed by a UK operator on a design/build/operate contract. There was a problem with the roof (it leaked like a sieve) and the state paid for remediation.

There are standard design templates from sport England outlining how 50m pools with a gym can be built for 15million sterling. A long way from 63 million euro and you'd imagine a reasonable comparator for irish construction costs.

The other line the council have is a 50m pool would only be used by elite swimmers who are well served by having a pool 90km away in Limerick. Which is a level of bollocks I don't need to comment on except to say that all pools in cork appear to be oversubscribed from what I can make out

In fairness to Niall Kenny he got a Lido (outdoor 50m pool) into the City development plan.

It would be nice for a bit of ambition for the city to at least put a 50m pool, velodrome, indoor arena, massive AstroTurf area into the plan and earmark a bit of ground for it somewhere within the city. They may all be pipe dreams but shouldn't be.

Good post EG, interesting

as to the bit i've highlighted:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Conchur White
Winthrop Avenue (@ Old Oak)

3rd May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼