The Official PROC Restaurant review thread.

Talk to me about great restaurants in Galway, brethren and eh... sisthren.

Preferably in the city.
I'll do the opposite, dont bother with Anair.. has to rate as one of the most disappointing meals we've had in a good while. They also do that really annoying thing of boxing themselves in with stupid rules they made up for themselves such as no coffee because some shit about it not being local etc despite me pointing out that the fucking scallops were from Scotland and no I dont want some seaweed infused tea thanks

Upside - they let you BYOW so you can at least drown your coffee sorrows with some top jungle juice.. although I think the corkage was something like €30

I'll do the opposite, dont bother with Anair.. has to rate as one of the most disappointing meals we've had in a good while. They also do that really annoying thing of boxing themselves in with stupid rules they made up for themselves such as no coffee because some shit about it not being local etc despite me pointing out that the fucking scallops were from Scotland and no I dont want some seaweed infused tea thanks

Upside - they let you BYOW so you can at least drown your coffee sorrows with some top jungle juice.. although I think the corkage was something like €30

Cheers, Mange-y.

I'd bate the living shite out of someone if I couldn't have coffee AND was charged €30 for opening my Buckfast.

Cheers, Mange-y.

I'd bate the living shite out of someone if I couldn't have coffee AND was charged €30 for opening my Buckfast.

You'd want patience the place is so far up its own hole

Big long raimeis about local produce, foraging etc.. grand stuff, all good, and one of the very first courses is scallop from Scotland

Then the gobshites hand you a poem between the desert courses whilst you're busy trying to figure out what dope thought oyster iceream might be a nice thing

And then theres no coffee because thats bad for being foreign, ignoring the fact that they have a full wine list

Fock that

Oscars seafood restaurant on Dominick Street would be my recommendation.

You also don't have to live with giving a cent to that annoying prick McMahon

You'd want patience the place is so far up its own hole

Big long raimeis about local produce, foraging etc.. grand stuff, all good, and one of the very first courses is scallop from Scotland

Then the gobshites hand you a poem between the desert courses whilst you're busy trying to figure out what dope thought oyster iceream might be a nice thing

And then theres no coffee because thats bad for being foreign, ignoring the fact that they have a full wine list

Fock that
This might be my all time favourite review of anything!

Galway has gone way too far up its own hole in the last decade. Don't think you'd get away with shite like that for too long in Cork.

Sounds as pretentious as this geezer

1674594859953.png

Went to Elbow Lane for a revisit the other night. Overall very enjoyable.

Wine wasn't great. A screw-top French Malbec (2021 - year of vintage most definitely not mentioned on the wine list)- at 40 quid a bottle you'd be expecting something more than passable! Meh.

The beer (the stuff they brew themselves) beer was utter rubbish - it has never been good though so more fool me for giving it a 5th or 6th chance.

I have to say that, yet again, it was excellent in terms of service, food and cocktails. The starters, mains, sides were all fantastic. I don't eat dessert but everyone else was raving about theirs.

And the lady who served us was great craic, super professional and on her game.
tell us more about the food eh?

tell us more about the food eh?
Their foods class, steaks always beautifully cooked and the brisket starter is fantastic.

Ate at moodys this weekend, tapas and very tasty also.

Pretty much everything cooked over an open oak-fed fire.

The brisket roll is gone from their menu - cue several disappointed faces. There was a brawn croquette in its place but alas, at 1930hrs, they were all gone.

Table opted for pork belly in fish sauce and chilli oil (tremendous - got 3 pieces in a serving, had to share, was disgruntled briefly), rarebit croquette (didn't try, was told it was good) and a carrot dish which I did try and was excellent. Other nibbles ordered were little bowls of smoked nuts.

Ribeye steaks all round with sides like hand cut chips, smoked baby potatoes with crème fraîche & onion jam and charred broccoli with a soy emulsion. The steaks from medium rare through to medium well were all cooked to perfection. I'm sure that they do the other things on the menu just as well as their steaks but if I'm in Elbow Lane, I'm having that.

The desserts were a chocolate mousse and an apple tea bread but I can't comment on those because I didn't eat them.

This might be my all time favourite review of anything!

Galway has gone way too far up its own hole in the last decade. Don't think you'd get away with shite like that for too long in Cork.

There's a chain of restaurants in Los Angeles called Café Gratitude that could, quite possibly hammer any place on the planet in terms of hole-uppery.

You can't just order your lunch or whatever. You have to listen to the whole fucking spiel first. Then the person serving you will tell you about what he/she/they are grateful for on that day.

Then you must order by saying shit like "I am grateful, I am humble" - that's the curry dish or "I am grateful, I am magical"- that's a bean burger.

I haven't witnessed it myself but I was told that sometimes the wait staff will sit down next to you and tell you about their life goals or the journey that they are on.

Imagine if someone pulled that sort of shit on you in the Tung Sing?!

For reference - https://cafegratitude.com/

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼