The Official Munster Rugby Thread™

Depth from academy level is the major thing. Leinster have more prospects coming through they could ever hope to meaningfully use.

Not all superstars but they could probably have close to 2 fully fledged provincial sized panels and the lower level squad would beat Munster more than Munster could beat the top team.

That they have a much bigger production line is one thing, but that they're willing to blood them and give them a chance rather than hiring in SA journeymen is another.

This article hits the nail on the head :

Think its a bit over the top tbh.

Munster arnt in the same league with player pick and backing as Leinster.

Look at the schools set up. Pres and Christians are grand but the likes of Blackrock college are more like a university campus. Different planet.

We did very well with an extraordinary core of Irish players in the noughties and we've produced nothing like it since.

Its disappointing we're not winning stuff but losing semis to sides like Saracens and Clermont who were operating off significantly bigger budgets than us is to be expected.

Leinster could put out two top class XVs but shorn of Beirne, POM, De Allende we were well short.

Lets see how we get on in Ravenhill.

Leinster in rugby are going to start drawing the same sort of questions that Dublin get in the GAA quite soon. And unlike the GAA, there's non Irish competitors who'll push the needle on it and start pressuring the IRFU into capping their spend and their squad.

The population is one thing, but they're still only tapping into a fraction of it as most players are coming from a handful of private schools. The resources the Leinster schools have are beyond what the vast majority of schools in Munster and probably Ulster can dream of, and they're basically working 8 sub academys.

The current coaching set up is definitely making an even bigger difference than there is to start with, but all that being equal it's hard to see a time when Leinster will be anything other significantly stronger than all other provinces.

For me, the main point is that we're failing to reach our potential, and have been for a long time. We've spent money on second rate players instead of developing from our academy. I'm all in favour of bringing in DdeA but there are imports hanging around that squad who would be better suited to Worcester or Brive.

The limitations, and background, of these players has meant that we're playing a style that doesn't suit the rest of our players and will not win at the top level without eight giants, a 100% kicker and a few speed merchants outside.

The game to game inconsistency is also a killer.

For me, the main point is that we're failing to reach our potential, and have been for a long time. We've spent money on second rate players instead of developing from our academy. I'm all in favour of bringing in DdeA but there are imports hanging around that squad who would be better suited to Worcester or Brive.

The limitations, and background, of these players has meant that we're playing a style that doesn't suit the rest of our players and will not win at the top level without eight giants, a 100% kicker and a few speed merchants outside.

The game to game inconsistency is also a killer.

I think a semi final berth in the European cup is probably the scope of our potential to be quite honest.

Munster have an operating budget of about 3 mill. Thats dwarfed by sides like Clermont & Toulouse .

Van Graan isn't much of a coach to be honest and we could be playing a more expanise game but I dont think we would be doing a whole pile better.

Shitting the bed to Scarlets in the pro 14 final in 2017 was pretty dire but is Rassie a terrible coach because of it?

For all the sadness of his untimely passing the appointment of Foley was the moment that really shattered Munster fortunes in recent years. The side fell off a cliff.

I think when you look at it objectively we cant compete with other sides backing. (We had private individuals funding Snynam and De Allende).

Prendegast and Rowntree will at least freshen things up. Lets hope we can improve next year but there are positives this year with great wins against Exeter and Ulster away.

By potential I read it as regard to our rugby ability, as opposed to results.

Agreed with Foley - terrible appointment. I was relieved ROG went abroad to learn his trade.

We'll just have to hope there's something there for him to want to come back to eventually

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sister Act The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

5th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Juicy Couture Fc

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼