The Official Munster Rugby Thread™

I don't like this format one bit. Don't understand it fully and it's a complete crapshoot.
While not exactly delighted, think Munster would be ok with the draw, should be able to beat Northampton home and away and a good chance of beating Toulouse at home.

FWVuS5FXEAIqONX

FWVuTRZWQAQ2Y5S

What is the job of Director of Rugby . How different is it to head coach
Depends really.

But in most cases, it's about someone who is looking at the structure of the club, rather than trying to get the best performance out of the club day-to-day.

To illustrate this, a head coach is the one responsible for making sure he's getting the best out of the group of players he has.
The director of rugby is responsible for making sure the head coach has a sufficient pipeline of talent. Leinster do this extremely well with that connection between schools -> academy ->Leinster squad. In the case of Leinster, they've got a way of playing and a structure that works all the way through that system, so that it develops the sorts of players that will be useful in the future, they know how to play in a Leinster jersey by the time they get there, etc...
They'd also generally be responsible for making sure the facilities are up to scratch, logistics are right, etc... Frequently also deciding the coaching ticket, rather than the head coach. Also, doing press liaison, budgeting, that sort of thing.

Putting the responsibility of all of that and the best performance out of a team on the pitch, deciding tactics, player development, running sessions, etc.. is quite a lot for one person to handle and usually the same skillset isn't found in the same person. Again, Stuart Lancaster is a good example, he hated the politics and press around his role as England coach, in Leinster, he doesn't have to worry about any of that, Leo Cullen handles most of it.

Depends really.

But in most cases, it's about someone who is looking at the structure of the club, rather than trying to get the best performance out of the club day-to-day.

To illustrate this, a head coach is the one responsible for making sure he's getting the best out of the group of players he has.
The director of rugby is responsible for making sure the head coach has a sufficient pipeline of talent. Leinster do this extremely well with that connection between schools -> academy ->Leinster squad. In the case of Leinster, they've got a way of playing and a structure that works all the way through that system, so that it develops the sorts of players that will be useful in the future, they know how to play in a Leinster jersey by the time they get there, etc...
They'd also generally be responsible for making sure the facilities are up to scratch, logistics are right, etc... Frequently also deciding the coaching ticket, rather than the head coach. Also, doing press liaison, budgeting, that sort of thing.

Putting the responsibility of all of that and the best performance out of a team on the pitch, deciding tactics, player development, running sessions, etc.. is quite a lot for one person to handle and usually the same skillset isn't found in the same person. Again, Stuart Lancaster is a good example, he hated the politics and press around his role as England coach, in Leinster, he doesn't have to worry about any of that, Leo Cullen handles most of it.
Thanks who u say makes sense

First warm up game against Gloucester on Friday in Muzzer. Here's hoping that the new signings, particularly Fekitoa, bed in quickly and make an impact. Would be very worried about front row and midfield.

It'd be great if they manage it. The larger population base has been overlooked for too long
"Munster – the only Irish province with a licence to host international touring sides"
???

First I've heard of such a thing. But I've never heard of the other provinces playing international touring sides. Seems very odd

"Munster – the only Irish province with a licence to host international touring sides"
???

First I've heard of such a thing. But I've never heard of the other provinces playing international touring sides. Seems very odd
Yeah, I read that as well and raised an eyebrow. As you say, I've never heard of the other provinces playing national sides. Doesn't make sense, as it certainly happens on southern hemisphere tours.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Roy Orbison Reborn starring Dean Bourne

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼