The official mobile phone thread

Bumpity bump

+ some advice from looking at Three's website:
Also, final things. iPhone 5 is nice, but little different to the 4S. 4S is now price competitive with the top end phones from Samsung and HTC, however those phones beat the pants off it with the nerd specifications.
Best way to compare costs is to check how much the whole deal will set you back over 24 months. Avoids the sneaky jiggery pokery that goes on...

Which most people don't really need to know about, but things like memory are important. For example, if you get a 16GB iPhone 4S, a quick look at the Three.ie website indicates you can get this for a total cost of €1015 over 24 months), you're stuck with 16GB.

For exactly the same price, you could go with an SIII, which has an expandable memory slot, and will take 128GB cards when they come out later this year. They'll certainly take the 64GB ones on the market, for around 40 quid.

If you want to go for the 64GB model with the iPhone, you're looking at €1200 over 24 months.

For €40 less over 2 years, you can get the HTC One S, which is a grand phone, nippy enough, handy camera, good sound, but again, you're stuck with 16GB.

On the other hand, if you go for the full fat iPhone 5 64GB, then it'll cost you over €300 more than the iPhone 4S 16GB.

The best value phone at the moment, in my opinion, is the Samsung Galaxy Beam (also known as the Advance)*. But just had a look at Vodafone.ie and their prices are ridiculous.

Personally, I find the SIII too bulky, so looking at the options on Three, the iPhone 4S 16GB is probably the best option there.

*Nothing to do with working for a company that did some of the stuff for this...

Just got myself a Samsung Note 2 for 149 bucks due to upgrade with Metor.
So far I need to get a bit into the whole very big screen thingy, but it's great. No hassle getting all the contacts from Google which have been synced with my old device.
Happy days :)

thinking I should just get one of these bad boys

K9001.jpg

thinking of getting a Huawei Ascend G300. they are about £120 unlocked, running ics 4.0.3.

has something better come along at a comparable price in the last few months? considered the nexus 4 but she's around £250...

thinking of getting a Huawei Ascend G300. they are about £120 unlocked, running ics 4.0.3.

has something better come along at a comparable price in the last few months? considered the nexus 4 but she's around £250...

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 is ok for similar money. ZTE Blade 3 and Acer Liquid Z2 also worth a look.

For something a little different, the new Nokia Lumia 520 looks like a good phone, considering. Alcatel One Touch Fire looks interesting, might be the first Firefox phone, round June.

Kind of a bad time to be buying a phone, to be honest. There's usually a bit of a burst of phones in May/June as they do respins of the phones that were launched the previous October in time for the Christmas market. I know of at least one major company who are looking to do a whole new range in June...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼