The Official Mesut Özil Appreciation Thread

He'll leave on a free to ManYoo this summer they said

3.5 year extension they never said :lol!:

200.gif

Oh dear.

Profile:

Name: missing Ozil

Activities: avoiding Russian mob who want to kidnsp me and pool.

Income; Gazillions :lol!:

Ambition; none

Plans for retirement: “retired two and a half years ago.

I am a fan of Ozil and am saddened at the situation. Unlike Alexis at ManU he performed at a high level for Arsenal for a number of years and deserves a bit more respect. I think he is a victim of the demand for pressing (which works so might be more than a fad) but there has to be room for a skillful player like this if only coming off the bench.
Obviously we dont know what is going on behind the scenes and I think Arteta is doing a good job but freezing players like Ozil, Guendouzi and Torreira out of the first team completely isnt a good look for me. I remember being behind the goal one night at the Nou Camp when Pep was manager and seeing all the Barca outfield players working like crazy to get the ball back from the opposition while Messi stood around which his hands on his hips. The second touch after Barca regained the ball was invariably Messi creating a dangerous situation. Ozil should be used like this by Arteta.

So Ozil officially retired a couple of days ago.

I think football changed as result of Barca's pressing game and it meant a player like Ozil who didn't press or try to defend became a weak link that savvier teams could take advantage of, and Wenger didn't see the game was changing.

I remember Bayern passing the ball just inches from Ozil and he made no attempt to intercept.

Arteta tried I think, but it was too late for Ozil to change his game. I saw him make a sliding tackle near the end of his time at Arsenal but I guess it was just for his agent's presentation reel for the transfer.

It's a pity as I think most fans agree he didn't achieve his full potential.

He was badly treated by the German FA after a photo with Erdogan and that whole episode probably also had a detrimental effect on him.

Undoubtedly one of the most talented players of his generation but inevitably he will be compared to the player that he could have been.

So Ozil officially retired a couple of days ago.

I think football changed as result of Barca's pressing game and it meant a player like Ozil who didn't press or try to defend became a weak link that savvier teams could take advantage of, and Wenger didn't see the game was changing.

I remember Bayern passing the ball just inches from Ozil and he made no attempt to intercept.

Arteta tried I think, but it was too late for Ozil to change his game. I saw him make a sliding tackle near the end of his time at Arsenal but I guess it was just for his agent's presentation reel for the transfer.

It's a pity as I think most fans agree he didn't achieve his full potential.

He was badly treated by the German FA after a photo with Erdogan and that whole episode probably also had a detrimental effect on him.

Undoubtedly one of the most talented players of his generation but inevitably he will be compared to the player that he could have been.
Fair comment doppel. His skill level and vision were off the charts but as you say was never going to survive when work rate became the ultimate yardstick.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼