The Official Liverpool Thread - Part 2

Erra they could easily go the rest of the season unbeaten.

They may well do. Sure they've just come off a winning run of 12 games and have form for going on 15-18 game winning runs under Pep

...and they have "only" 15 games to play.

Liverpool have to keep on plugging away to keep them honest. It'll likely be a fruitless chase, like 2018/19 when City won 18 of the last 19 games.

This was only the third matchday all season that Liverpool gained more than a point on City

But you have to keep at it. Certainly at this stage. As Rebel said above, if the maths start looking more bleak in a few months and Liverpool remain in the CL then maybe a case can be made for some de-prioritisation, but not now.

Erra they could easily go the rest of the season unbeaten.
In betting twam news is very important.

If Liverpool surprisingly announced a team with no Salah, their price drifts.

If city annoynce no de Brunye price doesn't move.

No KDB, Forden.
No Foden, Sterling
No Sterling, mahrez.
No mahrez, grealizh

Etc etc etc.

Truth is city could field 2 teams capable of winning the league. Their first 11 might not be the best first 11 of the epl era, but their first 25 or so is unmatched.

No KDB, Forden.
No Foden, Sterling
No Sterling, mahrez.
No mahrez, grealizh

Etc etc etc.

Truth is city could field 2 teams capable of winning the league. Their first 11 might not be the best first 11 of the epl era, but their first 25 or so is unmatched.

I think Chelsea are the only side with a squad to come close to City's depth.

And injuries and Covid have nobbled their chances. That said of the top four sides their remaining games are decidedly handy™ . The only real tricky tie they have is fortress Old Trafford (lol)

No KDB, Forden.
No Foden, Sterling
No Sterling, mahrez.
No mahrez, grealizh

Etc etc etc.

They've got great strength in the final third and at CB in particular - plus 3 good level full-backs (even with Mendy away) and Ake able to fill in there too.

But, as I mentioned below, they aren't as strong as you'd think once you look at the players occupying the 18th to 25th places in their squad.

If Rodri and another CM (e.g. Gundogan) were out together for a stretch then that would weaken them, and have ripple effects elsewhere in the XI.

Would've been nice if City had a couple of tough games coming up quickly after the Southampton game, in the hope that they'd wobble.

That said, if Brentford start quickly they could give them something to worry about.

87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

This season it'll take a hell of a lot to stop them from this position, if they aren't badly affected by injuries/COVID from here on in.

But with Torres gone & Mendy (ahem) unavailable their squad isn't as deep as you'd think. First 16/17 players are all excellent and bloody expensive, but beyond that it's kids - admittedly some are quite talented.

If they got very unlucky with injuries (esp. in midfield, where Rodri is crucial) then some cracks might appear. But we are clutching at straws.

No KDB, Forden.
No Foden, Sterling
No Sterling, mahrez.
No mahrez, grealizh

Etc etc etc.

of course they're gonna win the league if they're starting every game with 25 players on the pitch

forging bastiches!!!!

Last edited:
They've got great strength in the final third and at CB in particular - plus 3 good level full-backs (even with Mendy away) and Ake able to fill in there too.

But, as I mentioned below, they aren't as strong as you'd think once you look at the players occupying the 18th to 25th places in their squad.

If Rodri and another CM (e.g. Gundogan) were out together for a stretch then that would weaken them, and have ripple effects elsewhere in the XI.

Would've been nice if City had a couple of tough games coming up quickly after the Southampton game, in the hope that they'd wobble.

That said, if Brentford start quickly they could give them something to worry about.

87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg
Yeah, I see your point about central midfield, but it would probably only be an issue against the very best EPL teams and in the later stages of the CL (Peps brainfart in the final being the perfect example)

They're just so good at keeping the ball it's hard for lesser teams to hurt them consistently.

Yeah, I see your point about central midfield, but it would probably only be an issue against the very best EPL teams and in the later stages of the CL (Peps brainfart in the final being the perfect example)

They're just so good at keeping the ball it's hard for lesser teams to hurt them consistently.
That’s pretty much it. They keep the ball so well that most teams don’t really get a chance to get at them to expose any potential weaknesses. They’re just an exceptional side.

Klopp won’t give up the chase in the PL but unlike other years when he has put domestic cups to the side, I think he should go strong in them because we can be a good cup side if we want to be.

Pipping City over 38 games is really tough. Pipping City in cup games or others isn’t that tough as our first XI can beat anyone. Chelsea are a good example of this too. They’ve been great in cups since Tuchel took over.

That’s pretty much it. They keep the ball so well that most teams don’t really get a chance to get at them to expose any potential weaknesses. They’re just an exceptional side.

Yep. Spot on.

Pep's style, when implemented well by top quality energetic players, is incredibly hard for middle & lower table teams to combat. Often the best they can hope for is a "back to the wall" defensive performance to sneak a draw - or something spectacular from distance (...my favourite below). Teams can't get sustain enough possession deep enough in City's defensive third to do them a whole lot of damage...and City are adept at killing potentially dangerous moves early with tactical fouling.

It also feels like the further drift towards foreign managers & more aesthetically pleasing styles of play in the PL means there are now very few sides who are set up to get some joy out of City with a more agricultural approach.

Klopp won’t give up the chase in the PL but unlike other years when he has put domestic cups to the side, I think he should go strong in them because we can be a good cup side if we want to be.

Pipping City over 38 games is really tough. Pipping City in cup games or others isn’t that tough as our first XI can beat anyone. Chelsea are a good example of this too. They’ve been great in cups since Tuchel took over.

Klopp and Tuchel are German managers.

In an English league.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Frank and Walters
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

21st Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Robot Dreams (G)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼