The Official Irish Rugby Thread

I think that perversely, it was probably a good thing that Saturday's performance was a bit ropey. If we had put the Charioteers to the sword in emphatic fashion, the Hype Meter would explode. It's bad enough as it is now.

It's pretty obvious that we are up there to be taken down now and other coaches will be looking at us differently now with a game plan to stop us.

Farrell is a stEady pair of hands and knows that massive improvement is required if we are going to have a decent WC.

We face the old Jock joke at the football WC - what do you call an Irishman in the second stage of a Rugby WC ? Answer - A referee (match official)

Thorns was on Newstalk earlier proudly stating this is the best Ireland side of all time.
On the basis of strength in multiple positions I’d say he isn’t far off the mark. How many times have we said going to WCs that I hope this player or that player doesn’t get injured. Bar Sexton, I don’t think it will be a huge issue this time.

On the basis of strength in multiple positions I’d say he isn’t far off the mark. How many times have we said going to WCs that I hope this player or that player doesn’t get injured. Bar Sexton, I don’t think it will be a huge issue this time.

10 is the most important position on the pitch and we will have a 38 year old starter and an inexperienced deputy who is shit from open play.

We will see how best of all time this side is in less than six months.

10 is the most important position on the pitch and we will have a 38 year old starter and an inexperienced deputy who is shit from open play.

France are probably as vulnerable to Dupont getting injured. Considering how many matches he's likely to have played in the 12 months prior to the world cup, there's a good chance of it happening. He's played 21 matches so far this season, played 1483 minutes.
He played 382 of the 400 minutes of France's matches in the 6 nations.

Toulouse have at least 12 matches remaining this season, probably more like 18. There's French 4 warm up matches, with 4 pool stage, it's 8 matches before the quarter final. It wouldn't be surprising if he hits 40 matches between the start of this season and the quarter final.

If he gets injured, they're in big trouble.

Key player vulnerability isn't unusual, but I'd argue that France are at least as vulnerable as Ireland are.

Absolutely and tbh I would say it has been one of the few failures of Farrell's tenure. However if we lose to France in a q/f in Paris, will it define team after what they have achieved over the last few years?

If they get past the quarters then they can claim to be the best Irish side.

That's the yardstick.
I think you are being a bit harsh, getting to WC semi should be the yardstick no doubt, however if its France in Paris, thats different gravy.
Even the poll here had France the better team coming into the 6Ns and winning it, and that was with us playing them at home

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Houseplants
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

24th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼