The Official Irish Rugby Thread 19/20.

Monty Burns

Not your No. 1 criterion when picking wingers.

Lowe can beat defenders and score. He also has an enormous kick which has proven very, very valuable.

Don't think Ireland are going to win it but I think you're overdoing the pessimism.

Healy - 35/36
Murray - 34
POM - 34

POM has a 50/50 chance of starting IMO. The other two are bench warmers.

It's not unusual to have players getting on a bit playing for world cup winning teams. Take England 2003, Johnson was 33, Jason Leonard 35. Schalk Brits was 38 playing for SA in the last world cup (although didn't make the final). Os Du Randt was 35 when winning the 2007 world cup. Brad Thorn won the world cup in 2011 at 36, Mealamu was 36 in 2015.

Average age for teams at the world cup is usually between 27-29, not unusual to have a few players in their mid 30s.

Sexton would definitely be a bit of a freak if he makes it through, if Ireland do get to the final, would say there's no more than a 30% chance of him making it.

No but some kind of defensive ability is a requirement.

Lowe will walk back into the team when he's fit and he will be targeted as he is poor.

Conway will probably have broken down again by the time the World Cup comes about.

Anyone who is optimistic about Irelands world cup prospects is out of their mind.

Last edited:

How bad boy

No but some kind of defensive ability is a requirement.

Lowe will walk back into the team when he's fit and he will be targeted as he is poor.

Conway will probably have broken down again by the time the World Cup comes about.

Anyone who is optimistic about Irelands world cup prospects is out of their mind.
Lowe's defending isn't that awful. It's poor but not bad enough to make a great deal of difference to Ireland's defence, especially if Henshaw, Ringrose and Keenan are in the side, all of whom are good defenders.

I'm more optimistic about Ireland than I have been in a while. I think everyone will agree, Ireland haven't played at their potential for this autumn international series (at least in attack), and yet still beat Australia and South Africa.
What Ireland showed in games like the tests in NZ, England match and patches over the AI series, was an attacking pattern that, if they get it right, will be devastating. It's also not particularly reliant on any one individual's brilliance.

It's a difficult pattern to get right though, the timing of it is critical, as is the speed of ruck ball. Australia disrupted Ireland there, slowing things down, so clearly that's a vulnerability.

Anyway, it isn't exactly all doom and gloom, it's clear few are getting at all carried away like happened in 2018. Roll on the six nations.

France are the red hot favourites for this world cup, anyone who believes otherwise hasn't a clue.

Monty Burns

I'm more optimistic about Ireland than I have been in a while.

No offence but you were spouting similar in 2018.

Let's see how well we do in the 6N. Then we will see where we are.

Farrell put all his chips in on Sexton and we saw on Saturday how well giving him every available minute played out. Crowley did so so given he was parachuted in with 15 mins notice and sod all minutes beforehand.

Ireland should have gotten over putting ANY stock in beating any of the big three one or two years before a World Cup.. won't matter a shit in France next September

How bad boy

No offence but you were spouting similar in 2018.

Let's see how well we do in the 6N. Then we will see where we are.

Farrell put all his chips in on Sexton and we saw on Saturday how well giving him every available minute played out. Crowley did so so given he was parachuted in with 15 mins notice and sod all minutes beforehand.

Ireland should have gotten over putting ANY stock in beating any of the big three one or two years before a World Cup.. won't matter a shit in France next September
Sigh. Ok, whoever you are. You appear to be another alt, presumably in that case you'll have read all the criticism by myself and others on that Sexton overreliance. Nothing new there.

That said, would Ireland be in a better position had they lost all those matches?
Clearly not. So Ireland are not in a bad position, just with a clear Achilles heal, one the game last weekend helped a little in dealing with.
Which is good

They need to sort out their 10. They almost always go with the out of of form one. Ntamack almost lost them the Aussie game, Jalibert rescued it. If that continues they have to start Jalibert come February.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St.

24th Dec 2022 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

10 X 10 Minute Play Event

Cork Arts Theatre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

View more events ▼