The Official Golf Thread

Blarney is nice alright, played it a good few times last year, they were handing out free green fees to promote the place last year so we took advantage of that. Nice course in the sense that it makes you think about your shots and you not gonna be hitting your driver everytime from the tee.
Agree with Sully in that its gonna take a few years to develop but a nice course to have Locally.
Everyone should keep an eye for open weeks and scratch cups during the summer though, cheap green fees even if you dont enter your score at the end, most courses have these.

Do people have any opinions on Lee Valley?

I found this quite a challenging course with a lot of blind shots.

hoping to play the new one in blarney soon anyone know what its like?

Had my greatest ever round of golf at Lee Valley, even better than anything I did play wise on my home course (Kinsale). Played there in a Juvenile Open when i was 16 or 17 and had 45 pts off 15 handicap. Shot a 38 on the back 9 which I was really happy with cause it was my first time on the course and the weather wasn't great. Got beaten by a f*cking bandit from Mahon who shot 48pts off 24 handicap!! I mean you can't possibly be shoting off 24 at Mahon...LANGER! Still won a nice putter though. I have always liked the course since then. Tough but fair. Back 9 can really sap the energy so you have to hold it together at the end. My brother became a member so I've played quite a few times since.
Btw, if any of you have a young brother tell them to play on the Juvenile Open circuit around Cork every summer. Almost every course in the county has at least one juvenile open and it's less than 10 euro to enter. Played Harbour Point, Lee Valley, Muskerry and Little Island amongst others for 3 pounds at the time. Unreal!

-AmadeusDC-

Had my greatest ever round of golf at Lee Valley, even better than anything I did play wise on my home course (Kinsale). Played there in a Juvenile Open when i was 16 or 17 and had 45 pts off 15 handicap. Shot a 38 on the back 9 which I was really happy with cause it was my first time on the course and the weather wasn't great. Got beaten by a f*cking bandit from Mahon who shot 48pts off 24 handicap!! I mean you can't possibly be shoting off 24 at Mahon...LANGER! Still won a nice putter though. I have always liked the course since then. Tough but fair. Back 9 can really sap the energy so you have to hold it together at the end. My brother became a member so I've played quite a few times since.
Btw, if any of you have a young brother tell them to play on the Juvenile Open circuit around Cork every summer. Almost every course in the county has at least one juvenile open and it's less than 10 euro to enter. Played Harbour Point, Lee Valley, Muskerry and Little Island amongst others for 3 pounds at the time. Unreal!

-AmadeusDC-

Muskerry is a lovely course with some great par 3s on it.

I played Blarney twice last year. Some nice holes there but also some very average holes. There is a 605 yrd par 5 there but there is a driveable par 4 there. It is a young course at the moment but give it 5 - 6 years and time to mature and it will be an excellent course. The 18th is a very nice finishing hole. A bit easy now but as I said give it time.

605 yrd par 5!!!! that'll take about 6 shots to get to the green!!!!

605 yrd par 5!!!! that'll take about 6 shots to get to the green!!!!

It's a long one alright. I'd rather a long Par 5 than a long Par 4 though. Kinsale has a few monstrous Par 4's actually. The 17th especially is a ferocious hole for your average Joe golfer (me). About 450 yards with a tiny island(ish) green. Water all across the front and right and half the back. Out of bounds close left of and behind back of the green. Unless your a serious hitter then you are looking at a very long iron/wood into the green and it's very hard to hold. Most people lay up at which point you're relying on the up and down from about 50 which isn't too common. So pretty much a guarenteed bogey and if you get it wrong a good score can fall apart just before the end. The 3rd and 7th are tough f*ckers as well and it's ALWAYS windy down there. Actually now that I think of it it's probably the toughest course I've played (along with the Island). It'll be a monster when the trees actually grow to maturity. -AmadeusDC-

Blarney is nice, don't go there on a busy day though, alot of tee boxes on top of each other, played scratch cup there last year, my god you would want alot of patience. course wise i liked it though. greens are in super condiditon. Lee Valley is nice, very good test. played there few weeks ago and it was in top nick. Check out Adare Manor at the moment, they were doing a deal of a green fee and a free ticket to Irish Open for i think about 70 snots, i played there at xmas and everyone should play it once, lovely finish on the 16th and 18th.

It's a long one alright. I'd rather a long Par 5 than a long Par 4 though. Kinsale has a few monstrous Par 4's actually. The 17th especially is a ferocious hole for your average Joe golfer (me). About 450 yards with a tiny island(ish) green. Water all across the front and right and half the back. Out of bounds close left of and behind back of the green. Unless your a serious hitter then you are looking at a very long iron/wood into the green and it's very hard to hold. Most people lay up at which point you're relying on the up and down from about 50 which isn't too common. So pretty much a guarenteed bogey and if you get it wrong a good score can fall apart just before the end. The 3rd and 7th are tough f*ckers as well and it's ALWAYS windy down there. Actually now that I think of it it's probably the toughest course I've played (along with the Island). It'll be a monster when the trees actually grow to maturity. -AmadeusDC-

Myself & a friend played it in a classic last year & he used a wedge for his 2nd. Power of him is unreal but he still bogeyed it. If he had my putting touch that day he'd have posted an unreal score.

I think the 3rd is a great hole. If you hit it long its a piece of piss but the dog leg adds to it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

1st May 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼