The Official Celtic Thread

Loan period option for Lens wasn't extended so he's "left the building" and gone back to the Bundesliga
and signed for Schalke.

I must admit I quite liked Lens and thought him a better foil for CCV than Starfelt was, but of course watching games primarily on TV you don't see all the work done off the ball and managers can have favourites. Lens certainly seemed far more comfortable on the ball than Starfelt when opposition used to leave him be the one playing the ball out from the back. In fairness to Starfelt he's improving I think (hope) and Ange has signed an Asian centrehalf who he thinks is brilliant. Time will tell on that, but it's now looking like this window we are losing a first teamer and two more from the matchday squad this window.

Huns got a penalty early at 0-0. Then had an opponent sent off for a straight red card that was very harsh while Jack was subbed at half time, lucky not to have been sent off too. Plus ca change.

Surprise of the day I think was the Dons getting utterly trashed 6-0 (Scales sent off against Hibs again) despite the "reaction" to the early cup exit expected. And with Killie losing up at Ross County there are now 4 teams on 20 points at the bottom of the table.

Presumably Goodwin will be sacked now, but those Aberdeen players will need to have a long hard look at themselves.

At the same ground where a dishonest official cheated Celtic out of a penalty, Don Robertson reviewed his decision to award Celtic a penalty and changed his mind.

No issue if anyone thinks it wasn't a pen....it wasn't a mistake to award it. Absolutely no chance it's overturned if given up the other end.

Celtic were awarded a penalty in the second half.... that it took VAR to award it speaks directly to the competency of the Mason in the black. Quite why a player on a yellow didn't get a second one is a mystery to anyone who has never seen a Celtic game before.

A good win.

Oh came on and looked lively.

0-1 Jota
https://streamja.com/Xvwry

0-2 Mooy
https://streamja.com/7n92L

At the same ground where a dishonest official cheated Celtic out of a penalty, Don Robertson reviewed his decision to award Celtic a penalty and changed his mind.

No issue if anyone thinks it wasn't a pen....it wasn't a mistake to award it. Absolutely no chance it's overturned if given up the other end.

Celtic were awarded a penalty in the second half.... that it took VAR to award it speaks directly to the competency of the Mason in the black. Quite why a player on a yellow didn't get a second one is a mystery to anyone who has never seen a Celtic game before.

A good win.

Oh came on and looked lively.

0-1 Jota
https://streamja.com/Xvwry

0-2 Mooy
https://streamja.com/7n92L
Celtic were very poor today IMO.

Dundee offered absolutely nothing going forward, even a 2-0 they still kept the bus parked (maybe thinking about the 9 goals ?) So the defence and GK were never tested.
Greg Taylor was very rusty and added very little going forward and Johnston offered nothing going forward. Never even tried to cross a ball and always went on the inside after passing to Abada.

Mooy was excellent, as always and Jota was back to his best but no one else made any impression.

2 very soft goals - the keeper was poor for the first - a bizarre goal and the defender had a brain fart for the penalty. Celtic created very little.

O Riley and Turnbull were both very poor and didn't enhance their prospects one bit.

All in all, a very subdued performance - will need a big improvement v St Johnstone next week-end.

I'd say Ange ripped into them after the game

Celtic were very poor today IMO.

Dundee offered absolutely nothing going forward, even a 2-0 they still kept the bus parked (maybe thinking about the 9 goals ?) So the defence and GK were never tested.
Greg Taylor was very rusty and added very little going forward and Johnston offered nothing going forward. Never even tried to cross a ball and always went on the inside after passing to Abada.

Mooy was excellent, as always and Jota was back to his best but no one else made any impression.

2 very soft goals - the keeper was poor for the first - a bizarre goal and the defender had a brain fart for the penalty. Celtic created very little.

O Riley and Turnbull were both very poor and didn't enhance their prospects one bit.

All in all, a very subdued performance - will need a big improvement v St Johnstone next week-end.

I'd say Ange ripped into them after the game

I think Ange referenced the "run all day" attitude of the squad and the fact that it's extremely difficult for opponents to counteract that as they'll inevitably tire and make mistakes. Like the very obvious penalty that took VAR to award.

Not sure if our player was offside or not but I think the incident with Kyogo was definitely a penalty. Keeper came out to clear the ball but just before he hits the ball he clearly hits Kyogo (who'd been pushed by the defender) into the head. The ref didn't make a clear and obvious mistake in awarding that but VAR over-ruled him on it which seemed very strange.

As for what happened under Willie Collum at ibrox, Willie very clearly feared being suspended from reffing again if he sent off a hun again. How Jack stayed on the park nobody apart from Willie Collum seems to know. Even Beale admitted after the match that they were lucky in some decisions.

Collum gave a straight red to a St J player for something that looked a yellow card at the most, and gave a yellow to Jack for what was clearly deserving of red(even ex-hun player pundits said it should've been a red card). Even St Johnston official twitter account though it an unbelievable decision to only give Ryan Jack a yellow card having reviewed it on VAR

The challenge on Abada was worse than the one that merited a red card for St J. Not quite as bad as the one that merited a yellow for the vermin.... but didn't even merit a foul on Abada.

Once again Celtic out-foul the opposition despite having 75% of the ball...ridiculous.

It was onside in the lead up to the non awarded penalty.

Robertson didn't make an error in awarding Celtic the penalty. He changed his mind... which is not what VAR is for.

As I always say just get impartial refs and there's no issue

The challenge on Abada was worse than the one that merited a red card for St J. Not quite as bad as the one that merited a yellow for the vermin.... but didn't even merit a foul on Abada.

Once again Celtic out-foul the opposition despite having 75% of the ball...ridiculous.

It was onside in the lead up to the non awarded penalty.

Robertson didn't make an error in awarding Celtic the penalty. He changed his mind... which is not what VAR is for.

As I always say just get impartial refs and there's no issue

Yeah, I saw one of the fouls awarded against Celtic in Dundee was for a DU player falling to the ground when he stood on the ball. :rolleyes:

No card given.

Compare and contrast to the straight red card Willie Collum DID give at Ibrox on Saturday when he left Ryan Jack away with that dangerous tackle on his opponent

Last edited:
Not just no card.... but no free kick even.

St Johnstone have appealed the red.

I thought that but wasn't sure so didn't include it.

Some crazy crazy decisions exacerbated by the fact that even when the refs see it a number of times in slow motion they seem to come to the wrong decision. And as yet in all the VAR decisions not one has gone against the huns or for their opponents on the day.

People thought that when VAR came in it would clean up all those "genuine mistakes" that almost invariably favoured a particular team and seemed to work a lot against another team. But the "genuine mistakes" abound - even with VAR. So much so that it now seems to be used for "Is there any reason we can use to not award a goal to the other team, or award them a red card or a penalty against them". Seems to be a case of "We don't care what the pictures show Timmy, we'll continue to do as we please". And every time they get away with an outlandish decision they become emboldened further and make an even more outlandish "genuine mistake" the following week.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Soho Nights

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼