the official betting thread.

Alright. Here's something to mull over across your lunchtime.

I've whipped up a version of the Elo model for the Premier League, using the rankings source below. Let's see how it goes this weekend.

I've kept the W/D/L percentages as per the international model for now (...even though the PL has a heavier weighting against away wins - 49%/28%/22%)

To make it a bit more practical let's start with a bank of 100 units and follow the staking plan below.

High: Over 25% - Back or Lay big (3 unit)
Medium: 10% to 25% - Back or Lay (2 unit)
Low: 5% to 10% - Back or Lay small (1 unit)
No bet: Under 5% - Ignore

Rules of thumb
1. If the model proposes both a back & a lay, place half stakes for each
2. If model proposes that there's a value angle in all 3 outcomes (e.g. back the home, lay the draw & away) aim to back the two outcomes with the highest % diff vs bookies, as long as the bets are consistent (e.g. don't back home win & draw)
3. For Lay bets, use the "back" odds plus 0.1, to roughly replicate the exchange margin (typically ranges from 0.05 to 0.2 but is most often 0.1)

With the criteria above it proposes bets on 17 outcomes across the 10 games. I'd be expecting a lot of variance on the "high" category.

I think I'll start with tracking two approaches:

A - Track the profits & losses for the approach above (17 bets this week, with stakes of 16.5 units)
B - Track the profits & losses if I only bet on the strongest recommended play in each game with full stakes (10 bets this week, with stakes of 21 units)

Saturday

View attachment 15487

Sunday & Monday

View attachment 15488
Good to see this. More interesting than the betting challenge which had its day in the sun.

Had a small bet on Andrew Guilding for the world grnad prix starting next Monday. Got 150/1 on him Satirday night before he made the final of the Belgian open on Sunday.

He's 66/1 now. I wouldn't go mad lads, but he's worth a few pennies each way at that price. Often lots of shocks in that tournament in the first round as its a short format and the even the very best can get caught cold.

I'll be doing my reserch on the historical odds tomorrow and will report back.
Did it from 2015 to 2021. some winning years and some losing years having a 1 unit stake on all outsiders would see a 20 point profit, but I fear the results are skewed by 2 very big price winners at 8/1 and 18/1 (2 horse race remember.)

I'd say the bookies have about the right prices on most matches.

On a purely Elo basis it's a "lay the draw". Home win is pretty much bang on the "right" price.

I see the 2 sides are 4 points apart in xPts, but 12 points apart in actual points.
View attachment 15502
Most of my bets will have an unsustainability of actual goals for and/or against versus xG factor built in, plus other factors like Marseille on the brink as far as their CL campaign is concerned (might have an eye on midweek) and coming off an international break too.

I'm happy to see your ratings catching them at the "right" price when said ratings probably don't capture those extra elements I've mentioned.

Not saying I'd be predicting an Angers win but happy to be on at the prices doing the rounds (7/2+).

Yep, the Elo ratings wouldn't reflect any of those factors. It's purely results-based.

I'd be uncomfortable using the calcs above for any kind of a large bet if I didn't have sight of the extra factors that may shift the price.

Hopefully useful for generating a quick & easy starting point for a price and maybe putting a few prices on the radar to dig into further.

Do you start with your own take on what the price should be & then look for outliers vs actual price?

Or is it more instinctive (with a bit of an xG overlay)?

Yep, the Elo ratings wouldn't reflect any of those factors. It's purely results-based.

I'd be uncomfortable using the calcs above for any kind of a large bet if I didn't have sight of the extra factors that may shift the price.

Hopefully useful for generating a quick & easy starting point for a price and maybe putting a few prices on the radar to dig into further.

Do you start with your own take on what the price should be & then look for outliers vs actual price?

Or is it more instinctive (with a bit of an xG overlay)?
I just have spreadsheets (lol!) scraping data from fbRef for each club.

Each week I'll see who's pushing the boundaries of sustainability over short/medium/long term, weigh up ratings based on squad valuations from transfermarkt and take other factors into account like above.

As always, I'd have a keen eye for longshots as it's my comfort zone. In short, I suppose my method is to find (through data) who's "due a win/loss" and maybe under/overvalued by the market and back/oppose them.

I just have spreadsheets (lol!) scraping data from fbRef for each club.

Each week I'll see who's pushing the boundaries of sustainability over short/medium/long term, weigh up ratings based on squad valuations from transfermarkt and take other factors into account like above.

As always, I'd have a keen eye for longshots as it's my comfort zone. In short, I suppose my method is to find (through data) who's "due a win/loss" and maybe under/overvalued by the market and back/oppose them.
Marco now....
200.gif

:)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

1st May 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼