The Official Athletics Thread

El Guapo

One month out from world indoors plenty happening on the track

Leivin indoors is on tonight live on world athletics YouTube from 19.45

Jakob Ingebrigtsen going for a WR in the 1500m he's going up against the current indoor world champ Samuel Tefera and they've flown in the best pacer in the business Erik Sowinski to get them there. He started his season there last year with an ER so it'll be interesting to see how he goes after Henrick took on the coaching following Gjert getting a health scare

Race of the night is probably the mens 3k
Spaniard Mo Katir up against the pick of the Africans Saloman Bererega, Getnet Wale and Lamecha Girma. All four could dip below 7.30. It'll be a burn up. Mo won the Valancia 10k last week so isn't stuck for fitness.

There is a novelty act in the 2k. Abel Kipsang olympic 4th place against Jimmy Gressier the limbo dancing McD's munching local boy.

On the women's side Gudef Tsegay the womans 1500 WR holder looks like she's having a go off the mile record. She ran the 1500 solo and is in super spikes which she wasn't last year so this one has a good chance of going

Grant Holloway in the 60 hurdles. Olympic champ Marcel Jacobs against Ronnie Baker In the 60. Olympic triple jump champ Rojas with an Irish coach having a cut off the long jump. Should be a good

Last edited:
El Guapo, you the man for this Sport. Keep us up to date on the smaller events especially, the ones that can go under the radar. Could be a great year all around.

On a minor note, a 17 year old Lux'burger that I teach ran a big PB for 1500 mts indoor the other day. Took it from 3,47 to 3,43. Really looking forward to seeing his progress over the next few years. Hopefully, U.S. college track doesn't burn him out. Vivien Henz is the name, a bright young fella. Off to Harvard on a Scholarship.

El Guapo, you the man for this Sport. Keep us up to date on the smaller events especially, the ones that can go under the radar. Could be a great year all around.

On a minor note, a 17 year old Lux'burger that I teach ran a big PB for 1500 mts indoor the other day. Took it from 3,47 to 3,43. Really looking forward to seeing his progress over the next few years. Hopefully, U.S. college track doesn't burn him out. Vivien Henz is the name, a bright young fella. Off to Harvard on a Scholarship.
Christ that's quick. Was it indoors?
Cian McPhillips irish u20 indoor record is only 3.44

Between him and that Qurenjean fella they must be doing something right over there

From an Irish perspective things are looking up. Luke McCann broke the 1k record in 2.17 last week a week after him and Andrew Coscoran went went third and first in the New Balance invitational in Statton Island.

Glengarriff man Darragh McEllhenny brought his 3k PB to 7.45 a serious progression from 8.20 in 2017 as a junior.

Brian Fay ran 13.24 for 5k indoors for university of Washington

Radishat Adeleke broke the Irish 300m record and set PBs in the 60, 200 and 400 for texas A&M. Thats serous range.

Nick Griggs set an U20 3k record at age 17 with 7:57

With a bit of luck there will be a few athletes in the mix for world indoors

Last edited:
Christ that's quick. Was it indoors?
Cian McPhillips irish u20 indoor record is only 3.44

Between him and that Qurenjean fella they must be doing something right over there
Yeah, down the road in Metz the other day. I must ask him on Monday if he got up close to Femke Bol........ The guy only dipped under 3.50 last Summer for first time, so the improvement is impressive.

Some decent Irish performances alright. Hope Adeleke keeps up the progression, and the middle distance lads.

3:53 for Coscoran at the New Balance meeting is certainly getting towards the sharp end. You feel that if he could develop his last lap he could really do the job - he was definitely in the shakeup in Tokyo to qualify for the final - had himself placed perfectly coming off the last bend.

Your boy Viv has some competition for 17 year old wunderkind 3.43.72 new Irish U20 record

3:53 for Coscoran at the New Balance meeting is certainly getting towards the sharp end. You feel that if he could develop his last lap he could really do the job - he was definitely in the shakeup in Tokyo to qualify for the final - had himself placed perfectly coming off the last bend.
Yeah, the fella he beat Colby Alexander was a great story too, he was dropped by his sponsor 2 years ago as an injury write off. Went with Ollie Hoare and Josh Kerr for 3rd at millrose beating all the yanks and a week later at NB took it from about 800 for a 3.53. Talk about a professional pulling his career out of the fire

Was brilliant to see Coscoran keep a cool head and reel him in, he was saying he felt bad going into that race and all

Last edited:
Well messy 800 mts there. Hope that doesn't bode ill for the other mid-distance races.
Yeah, the fields were Colossal, as poor auld Tsegay found out in the women's mile and Keter in the 1500. Generally I'm all for a bit of argy bargey in the indoor but it felt a bit unnecessary

Fair play to Jakob. Seeing the elastic break on Teferi in the last 400 was class. He's something else. The pacer Erik Sowinski is the man too. Was asked for 2.21 at the 1K he got them there in 2.20.9. I wonder how much he gets paid.

3k felt like a damp squib. Mostly because Katir blew up. Cant win em all I guess. I say blew up but 7.36 is not slow.

Overall it was kind of a show of Ethiopian strength, the 2k was good fun. Kipsang forgot about the extra 500m. Habz the fench fella in second thought he'd won olympic gold. Great for the home fans.

Birmingham on Sat and Torun next tues I haven't seen a start list for either of those yet though

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Danny Ryan, Ray Harrington and Guests

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼