The Official Athletics Thread

Away for the weekend so missed all the races. Arwagawyi out in the 3k is a big surprise. He had the world lead. Barega and Girma have taken pretty much all the indoor 3k races between them. Asbel Krop will fancy it. I'll be shouting hard for Geordie Beamish. He can close in 25.x im just not sure he can do it in a 7.28 race.

I was happy for Ellie Purrier St Pierre win a silver beating out GDS. I saw her run 9 something for silver up in the city sports about 8 years ago. Shes a tough cookie. She missed out on the 1500 in the trials but is listed here and has broken 4 for the 1500

Sarah Healy bowing out in 4.12 is disappointing to say the least. Darragh McEllhenny is also a big underperformance can remember his time 8.12 or so?

Phil Healy is a pro. I couldn't find her time in the semi but I don't think irish athlete has been so consistent and maximised their talent as her.

If Mark English isn't right after covid he should not run the 4x400m.

I don't think anyone will have the stones to not pick him though.

Sarah Lavin into the 60m hurdles final with a PB. Final due around 8 I think
She did well. Was unlucky kambundji face planted so hard in the lane next to her.

A serious bright spot in what has been a dismal champs for Ireland.

Coscoran made all the right moves but didn't have the juice. I wish he had just stuck in behind Ollie Hoare and not taken it on with 600 to go. How's that for captain hindsight stuff. McCann was like a boy In short pants. Seemed intimidated in the slow heat. Total underporfance

Same with Siofra Buttner. Dead last in a slow race and never even in the mix. Our athletes need more races fewer time trials in the NIA

Shaunie Miller-Uibo was a class act in the 400. Femke Bol couldn't touch her.

Womens 1500 was weird i can't remember such dominance from any athlete that Tsegay showe. 3.57 is lightning.

The spaniard Garcia rode his motorbike well in the 800. Decent bronze for Bryce Hoppel. The kenyan lad Kibet will dominate this event for years to come. I Enjoyed this one

Mens 3k and 1500m look like serious showdowns. I'll take Girma for the Win, Beamish for the upset silver over Barega. Mechaal in 4th

Jacob to keep the title in the 1500, from Kipsang and Hoare. The On athletics boys look good

Last edited:
I clean forgot about the best performance of the meet. Mahuchikh with Gold for Ukraine in the High jump. Ams XXO at 1.98 and 2m followed by a straight clearance at 2.02 for the gold. She was sitting in a bomb shelter last week. Remarkable stuff

Can ya believe the fuckin' Brits pipped us to both men's and women's 4x4 finals on time. About 0.3 secs each time! Boooo, say I.

Can ya believe the fuckin' Brits pipped us to both men's and women's 4x4 finals on time. About 0.3 secs each time! Boooo, say I.
Just watching back the races i missed. Isiah Harris from the US is a monster. Tore his hamstring with 150m to go in the first heat and managed to hold off Sweden and Nigeria for 3.09.

Ireland did okay. Cant ask for much more than a NR. Cillian Greene ran his leg in lane 2, went to pass the Slovakian fella on the bend which is a hard thing to do indoors. Gregan and O'Donnell were very quick. Ireland were unlucky.

Haven't watched the women's yet but a 4s NR hopefully speaks of a bright future.

The mens 1500 was a cracker. Tefera took down Jacob who played the rabbit. He was looking around a lot and was probably over confident after the WR. It'll be a good summer with the two of them and Tim. Ethiopian dominance was a bit unexpected from me at least but they took all the mens and womens distance events

Also the more I hear of Jacob the more I like him. This was the quote.

“If I knew that I was completely shit tonight, then of course I’d do a lot of things different, but I didn’t have any factors telling me that before the race.”

When asked about whether he missed Gjert. He said "No"

Edit: Apparently Jacob tested positive for Covid on landing in Norway. Got a clear PCR the morning of the race

Last edited:
Thing have been quiet in the track recently in the build up to worlds in July

The various national champs will be kicking in over the next few weeks but it was all eyes on Boston the last while

Ollie Hoare won the Oz 1500m last week with very little competition. Stewy McSwein didn't compete because he has some kind of long Covid and Jai Edwards was injured so it was a shallow enough field. it means he'll not have to get qualifying points this year

I had a look at the Bermuda games on YouTube. They spent a fair whack of money getting the sprint stars out there to showcase tourism. The racing was poor cos it was blowing a gale. You'd have to take your jocks in off the line stuff. Was interested in seeing Kamar Etiang in the 1500m he is the fella who finished second in the kenyan olympic trials but couldn't compete because he wasn't in the testing pool

He has a funny giddyup to his stride

The race is worth a watch its at 43mins here

I've never seen a fella nearly get caught on the line trying to stop his watch. 19 years old never been out of Africa we could be seeing him for year to come or never hear from him again

Penn Relays is this weekend

On Athletics Club taking in Dublin track club for the 4 x mile.

It'd be Ollie Hoare, Geordie Beamish, Morgan McdDonald and Joe Klecker for OAC

Vs Andrew Coscoran, Paul Robinson, Sean Tobin and Hiko Tenosa for Ireland

I hope OAC actually run (Mcdonald has been injured)

But Our fellas have been training in Melbourne and are now living in Flagstaff according to Sonia's column in the Times

The old record is 15.47 set in Dublin in 1985 by Eamon Coughlan, Ray Flynn, Frank O'Meara and Marcus O'Sullivan

Itll be on YouTube somewhere by Sunday morning

Edit. Next weekend 28th

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

28th Apr 2024 @ 4:15 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards.

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼