The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In terms of FG ticket, Jerry will be foaming at the mouth to get one of the slots. The party may prefer younger candidates like Shane O' Callaghan in City area and Una McCarthy (daughter of Justin) in Simon's old core area in lower harbour.
Mullins also a possibility but he's living in East Cork so may target Stanton's seat instead!
Funnily enough I was only talking about Coveney going, to someone in FG last weekend and they fully expected him to go, but clearly not this soon ! They reckoned it would be Shane O'Callaghan, a barrister and very well thought of, who also had a really good local election.

Mullins apparently will run in East Cork, though there's a bit of anger (wrong word) that Stanton is trying to parachute his son into his Dail seat, and not cutting his teeth in the council first. That's not going down well.

:oops: Seriously?

As for who gets the FG in CSC now it'll be very interesting.

I think Shane O'Callaghan will be one of them, and then it'll be down to Buttimer or Mullins. I think Buttimer will get one last run at it with the redrawing of the constituency lines and B'town back in CSC
Good point re Bishopstown, Jerry wants to know if Oysterhaven is part of the constituency,

:oops: Seriously?

As for who gets the FG in CSC now it'll be very interesting.

I think Shane O'Callaghan will be one of them, and then it'll be down to Buttimer or Mullins. I think Buttimer will get one last run at it with the redrawing of the constituency lines and B'town back in CSC
Re Buttimer, I think you're right that having B'town back in CSC, gives him an increased chance, but only in terms of the last seat, and of course it's now back to a 5 seater.

Funnily enough I was only talking about Coveney going, to someone in FG last weekend and they fully expected him to go, but clearly not this soon ! They reckoned it would be Shane O'Callaghan, a barrister and very well thought of, who also had a really good local election.

Mullins apparently will run in East Cork, though there's a bit of anger (wrong word) that Stanton is trying to parachute his son into his Dail seat, and not cutting his teeth in the council first. That's not going down well.

Heard that as well - Jnr's involvement up to now has been fairly minimal and doubt he'll get the nod above Mullins or cllrs who have put in the graft to get elected.

They may run three in CSC in the hope of getting two seats out of five (and to tick gender balance box).
Jerry B will probably be given another shot at it. Shane O' C in with good shout and then perhaps Una McCarthy from Passage area to hoover up votes in lower harbour area - still lot of blue votes in areas like Monkstown and Crosshaven. Jack White best performing FG candidate in Lower harbour LEA but gender balance requirements may rule him out!

Re Buttimer, I think you're right that having B'town back in CSC, gives him an increased chance, but only in terms of the last seat, and of course it's now back to a 5 seater.

Think it'll be two FF (McGrath and Martin), 1 SF (DOL), 1 FG (SO'C) and a scramble for the last seat. Mick Finn and DO'L will be fishing in the same pool so if DOL has a big surplus (whenever he hopefully gets elected) it could help Mick Finn. It was MF's transfers got DO'L elected first day. Buttimer won't be too far away from the 5th seat and I think FG might just scrape two seats.

The money that "in the know" jimmy 😇 bet on SF getting two seats in both CSC and CNC looking like easy money at this stage

Think it'll be two FF (McGrath and Martin), 1 SF (DOL), 1 FG (SO'C) and a scramble for the last seat. Mick Finn and DO'L will be fishing in the same pool so if DOL has a big surplus (whenever he hopefully gets elected) it could help Mick Finn. It was MF's transfers got DO'L elected first day. Buttimer won't be too far away from the 5th seat and I think FG might just scrape two seats.

The money that "in the know" jimmy 😇 bet on SF getting two seats in both CSC and CNC looking like easy money at this stage

Room for another candidate from East of Constituency. M Martin there of course but no one else from Blackrock, Ballinlough, Douglas, Rochestown area. Lot of FG votes there but no obvious names there for them!!

Heard that as well - Jnr's involvement up to now has been fairly minimal and doubt he'll get the nod above Mullins or cllrs who have put in the graft to get elected.

They may run three in CSC in the hope of getting two seats out of five (and to tick gender balance box).
Jerry B will probably be given another shot at it. Shane O' C in with good shout and then perhaps Una McCarthy from Passage area to hoover up votes in lower harbour area - still lot of blue votes in areas like Monkstown and Crosshaven. Jack White best performing FG candidate in Lower harbour LEA but gender balance requirements may rule him out!
That makes sense alright.

I think Rebel's point about Bishopstown coming back into CSC is a big plus for Buttimer as a former Chairman of Bishopstown GAA. I'd see it as 2 FF, 1 SF, 1 FG and the last seat a fight between GP/FG.

I'd be surprised if DOL had as big a vote as he got in 2020, when people were willing to give SF a go. I think he'll still walk in.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Blues Jam (Players Welcome)

Cantys, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼