The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

Embarrassing in 2nd half v Scarlets and against Glasgow and Sharks.

Some of our discipline and defending was shocking.

Casey is well out of his depth at this level. Some of Fritsch's defending was abysmal.

We were completely bullied once again in the front row.

Daly and Nash look the part and Crowley might make the grade.

We are going to have to sign a complete set of front rowers- very few of our current guys are up to the level.

Dismal start to season, good middle and dismal end.

I just don't know where we go from here

Shocking loss.

Defense was sloppy all too often, but it wasn't just the sloppiness, Munster lacked power all too often.
The attack was somewhat inaccurate at times, which is excusable but the game was lost by poor defence, not poor attack.

There was a massive disparity in penalties for the first hour, not sure if it was ill discipline or Barnes being Barnes. I'm tending towards the latter but Barnes is by no means a big reason for that loss.

Sharks effectively slowed the match down and hammered Munster with power.

The last 20 minutes was heartening but I hold out no hope for the last 2 games of the season. It gives Munster a chance to figure out how to beat the power game, which very much is a weakness of the style of play Munster are adopting.

If they don't, good chance of no European Cup next season, which would be shit.

Watched the first half. Recorded the second as I had to head off to a kids birthday party at a soft play.

Do I make a joke about soft play?
Do I make a joke about the toddlers having more aggression?

They actually had the template for the win in the second half. Secure the ruck, get the ball out of the scrum/ruck quickly and get the wingers involved.
The first 4 minutes of the second half was the losing of the match. Kick off, win possesion, then let the Sharks march down the pitch by giving away 3 penalties in quick succession (thought Kleyn was harshly penalised at the ruck maul though, he property spoiled that).

Worst game I've seen from Casey, he repeatedly sat there looking at the ball at rucks and scrums. He was haunted Hendrikse was injured early.

Snyman had a good game though, shame it came a bit early and he couldn't go the full 60.

I suppose the money and permission is not there for Munster to buy in Front Row players ?
All the one anyway on this side of a WC
Can't be having that. Have to let Ulster sign Kitschoff after already been allowed sign Umaga-Allen and Sutherland. That's already with OSullivan and OToole sent up there.

They have Dave Ewers coming over too, a proper hard edged player.

Munster have extended Archer for another season and were fucking lucky John Ryan didn't tell them to piss off as he'd be well within his rights to do.

Can't be having that. Have to let Ulster sign Kitschoff after already been allowed sign Umaga-Allen and Sutherland. That's already with OSullivan and OToole sent up there.

They have Dave Ewers coming over too, a proper hard edged player.

Munster have extended Archer for another season and were fucking lucky John Ryan didn't tell them to piss off as he'd be well within his rights to do.
Is John Ryan coming back ?

Front row seems to be a huge problem area

Kilcoyne tried hard but his best days are behind him

Scannell and Archer are no where near that level. The lack of agression from them in particular was shocking to see.

Back row destroyed too. Coombes really hasnt lived up to his potential but is young and has time. Same with Hodnett. POM looked off the pace out there

hard to judge the backs based on the crap ball they had but Casey was very poor imo

Looking like the Challenge Cup next season I reckon
I am not of course suggesting Munster will win it, but they have a better chance than the ECC.
Ah we are rebuilding now, every year for the last 12 🙄.

What is bugging me is listening to this is the team that Rowntree inherited, he has been involved in coaching that same group since 2019 so it's not as if he is not familiar with them.

Rowntree has improved them immeasurably. Leamy and Kyraciou need to ship some of the blame though. Forwards were woefully under prepared and off the pace and nothing improved after half time.

I've said before that Munster need to land favourably with the refs but the Sharks were standing up in the rucks and slowing the 9 at every opportunity but munster need to play to the whistle themselves. They're really missing that bit of dog about them.

Also would it fucking kill anyone to chip and chase at any stage? Every defence blitzes hard because the ball gets shipped out 10 times out of 10

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Camilla Griehsel's Mamasongue
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

12th May 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼