The Kerry Babies Case

Unless they can convince the guards that they genuinely didn't know. For example, that they were told that the child died in childbirth.

Given all the media coverage of the time though, I find it highly implausible that they wouldn't have at least considered that baby John might have been theirs.
according to a randomer on reddit, it's not enough for them to just to not have come forward, they would have to have actively destroyed evidence or perjured.

randomer_on_reddit said:
Simply failing to come forward wouldn't be sufficient there. To be convicted as an accomplice (accessory after the fact) they'd have to have done something to impede the prosecution or apprehension of the murderer. To be convicted as an accessory before or at the fact or to get them on common design principles, you'd need to prove the murder *and* their complicity in it - which is harder to do than proving the murder.

Similarly an offence against the administration of justice will also require some active measure, like perjury or destroying evidence.

I'm not saying by the way that they couldn't prove that (although it will be extraordinary difficult without a confession), merely that if all they did was fail to come forward and admit to the crime or their knowledge of it they aren't going to be able to be prosecuted for that alone.

Imo, if anyone should have been charged with perverting justice, it should have been the gardaí.

She didn't message you, ya feckin' eejit. She responded publicly to your post. You were probably telling all the lads that a girl messaged you on the INTERNET.

Edit: Ah ffs. This was a quote reply. This site has gone to shit

She didn't message you, ya feckin' eejit. She responded publicly to your post. You were probably telling all the lads that a girl messaged you on the INTERNET.

Edit: Ah ffs. This was a quote reply. This site has gone to shit
Major issues since the last big upgrade, "Oops, something went wrong" is the welcome I get when I open the forum on my laptop.

according to a randomer on reddit, it's not enough for them to just to not have come forward, they would have to have actively destroyed evidence or perjured.

Imo, if anyone should have been charged with perverting justice, it should have been the gardaí.
The concepts of accessory before or after the fact are American ones, so they don't fit precisely into our system.

Also, it's arguable (at least) that failing to report their child missing impeded the investigation. If when baby John's body was found, they came forward to say, " coincidently our baby boy has just gone missing", that would have helped the investigation a hell of a lot.

I love seeing different theories on it though!

The concepts of accessory before or after the fact are American ones, so they don't fit precisely into our system.

Also, it's arguable (at least) that failing to report their child missing impeded the investigation. If when baby John's body was found, they came forward to say, " coincidently our baby boy has just gone missing", that would have helped the investigation a hell of a lot.

Indeed....the not reporting that their son was missing is notable. But perhaps , considering she was so young she relented to a domineering adult to ' deal with the situation '. Perhaps the mother was lied to when her baby was taken away. She could have been told I/ we will sort out an adoption or something along those lines and so she willingly handed over the baby. May very well have been unaware until the baby ended up on White Strand.

By that point most likely the girl would have been too afraid to report it, especially if it meant throwing a significant relative or whomever under the bus.

Having said that a disturbing element is the 28 stab wounds. Most of them seemed like tentative attempts to end the babies life ,yet not quite managing it. Reports were that the wounds seemed like that the knife was withdrawn several times which may be consistent with a very traumatised teenager trying to deal with things herself.

Suffice to say someone knows exactly what happened but are keeping quiet. Very tragic and very sad. The whole sordid lot of it.

Could the babies neck break if the head was not supported?
The child was also clean which indicates at least some form of care.
It's also reported that the babies stomach was empty, again if very young she may not have known how to breast feed.
They then may have approached an adult who seeing the child in distress, and trying to protect the youngsters, decided to take the course of action they did.

For 4 decades up to the Celtic Tiger between 5000 and 10000 French & Germans moved here each year. They were almost all older professionals or retirees.

Quite an amount of Germans and French and Dutch bought/built properties in south kerry in the late 20th early 21st Century from what I could see. Very common to hear foreign accents on the streets of places like Knight'stown, Portmagee, Caherciveen, Waterville and so on. By the way there's an absolutely brilliant Patiserie in main street Caherciveen run by a French lady and (presumably) her daughter - one of the absolute gems of the area.

Heard on the radio that the couple (Baby John's parents) have other children together, are still partners (?), but don't actually live together. Seems a bit unusual.

Quite an amount of Germans and French and Dutch bought/built properties in south kerry in the late 20th early 21st Century from what I could see. Very common to hear foreign accents on the streets of places like Knight'stown, Portmagee, Caherciveen, Waterville and so on. By the way there's an absolutely brilliant Patiserie in main street Caherciveen run by a French lady and (presumably) her daughter - one of the absolute gems of the area.

Heard on the radio that the couple (Baby John's parents) have other children together, are still partners (?), but don't actually live together. Seems a bit unusual.
It's strange all right. Might be getting the living alone allowance

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Frankie Boyle: Lap of Shame

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼