The Kerry Babies Case

The DPP has to be satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, otherwise its a waste of public time and money, and unfair to the defendant.

They can't make it ' beyond a reasonable doubt' because they don't know the defence argument in advance, but they do have to have a high degree of confidence in their evidence.

But as you've already said, circumstantial evidence is still evidence. Short of finding the murder weapon with finger-prints still on it and a video recording of the infant being killed then isn't it all circumstantial one way or the other. Even for something as relatively light as perverting the course of justice would be reliant on circumstantial evidence.

And the the DPP at the time saw fit to prosecute JH despite the fact that no matter what else happened she could not have killed Baby John. Today's DPP would have a much stronger case against Baby John's mother imho.

Any idea how long it usually takes for the DPP to decide whether to proceed or not, or could this go on for weeks/months/years yet?

It will depend on the response they get from interviewing friends and family.

However I would be amazed if anyone said anything other than 'I know nothing '.

Otherwise you're volunteering yourself for a Joanna Hayes type public grilling where you will be grilled by lawyers and then grilled by social media and probably end up being shunned by friends, family and neighbours.

That song is fierce interesting for such a fuckin grim ditty

It's at least 400 years old and has versons from Germany to USA via Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.

cool podcast, thanks for that.

The name of the guy who does it is Lynch, I wonder is he related to the tribunal judge?

He's in a band called Lancum, good musicians, but l find their music too depressing to listen to.

39 years ago today
It seems like they're trying to blame it on someone who died in the last few years.
Sure no different so to the tens of thousands of other babies murdered, enslaved or sold by our ancestors over the last 80 years.

The DPP has to be satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, otherwise its a waste of public time and money, and unfair to the defendant.

They can't make it ' beyond a reasonable doubt' because they don't know the defence argument in advance, but they do have to have a high degree of confidence in their evidence.

Kind of ironic given the fall out from the DPP trying to finger Hutch purely on the word of a known perjurer :unsure:

cool podcast, thanks for that.

The name of the guy who does it is Lynch, I wonder is he related to the tribunal judge?

He's in a band called Lancum, good musicians, but l find their music too depressing to listen to.

Actually took me a while to get into them but Lankum are very good. A lot of their stuff is dark so you have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

Anyway, no word from the DPP's office yet?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Prophet Song: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼