The Hurling Thread

The funniest thing about the handpassing at the weekend, was that the most blatant one that wasn't a throw, was one of the only ones blown up. Bonner Maher's against Limerick.
Spot on and hence why Cahill went bananas on the line. I can understand refs missing a blatant throw if they are unsighted or whatever but to give a free for a perfectly executed handpass beggars belief

Spot on and hence why Cahill went bananas on the line. I can understand refs missing a blatant throw if they are unsighted or whatever but to give a free for a perfectly executed handpass beggars belief
Refs just can’t get them right it’s impossible so I was glad to see stack blowing them but you should probably blow 2 or 3 for each side over the course of a game to keep players on their toes for technique. He blew 3 against Tipp and none against limerick which was ridiculous. And he’d plenty opportunity to - Hannon and lynch in particular leave very little air in there.

Handpass off the bas only should be trialled in one competition next year.

Re proposed rule changes, why don't they just enforce the rules we have and go from there. We were all shown a proper handpass as juveniles, just enforce it along with other rules such as steps, charging etc. Like the laws of the land, we dont need more laws, just proper enforcement of the ones we have
Don’t think it’s possible to be fair - it’s too quick and too thin a line between a clean one and a throw… and a good chance of a ref being 50 yards away

Thoughts on the new trial rules from Croke Park for freshers hurling later this year?

HURLING

Amend Rule 1.7 (b) Rules of Fair Play (Hurling) to read:

(b) Released from the holding - hand and struck with a definite striking action of a hand, either by:

(i) The other hand

Or

(ii) Tapping the ball on the hurley and striking the ball with either hand.

The process of striking the ball with the non-original holding hand involves the transferring the hurley from one hand to the other.

2. Amend Definition 10 Hand Pass (b) Hurling to read:

(b) Hurling

The ball shall be released from the holding-hand and struck with a definite striking action of a hand by, either by:

(i) The other hand

Or

(ii) Tapping the ball on the hurley and striking the ball with either hand.

3. Amend Rule 4.2 (b), Rules of Foul Play (Hurling) by adding:

"As specified in Rule 1.7 (b) Rules of Fair Play (Hurling)".

The wording of the proposed puck-out trial is as follows.

(i) Amend Rule 2.6 - Set Play (Hurling) by amending the final sentence to read:

"The ball shall travel outside the near 45m. line before being played by another player of the defending team".

(ii) Amend Rule 4.29, Rules of Foul Play (Hurling) to read:

"For another player on the team taking the puck-out to play the ball before it has travelled outside the near 45m line".

Penalty

(i) Cancel puck-out.

(ii) Throw In the ball on defenders' 20m. line opposite the scoring space.

(iii) Amend Rule 1.2(i), Rules of Specification, by deleting the word "(Football)" in the first line.

(This provides for the marking of a 45m.line in Hurling.)

Dimensions of hurleys

Juvenile (child) up to and including 26″ hurley – maximum bas of 15cm
Junior (youth) up to and including 30″ hurley – maximum bas of 16cm
Senior (Adult) 30″ up to and including 36″ hurley – maximum bas of 17cm
Adult goalkeeper hurley – maximum bas size of 21cm.
You can't ban/limit the handpass and not ban swarm tackling. It's one of the greatest blights on the game.

That was a correct decision - he didn’t kick it and he wasn’t fouled.

While he had a decent game he definitely gave a few vital ones to Clare in the second half and, the referees darling in particular, Tony Kelly. The Ourgame.ie (a Tipp / Offaly owned website) headline was ‘Ref Justice for Cork…’ which alluded to both the strange appointment of Murphy and also some ropey calls Clare got going down the stretch.

On a related point, TK is a superb hurler and a joy to watch in full flow but the simulation shite out of him is pathetic. And no calling out of it by RTÉ. After Rory Hayes embarrassing himself last week, there’s some bad juju coming for Clare, that shite will come back around. And spare us the whataboutery, I’ve never seen a hurler do what Hayes did trying to get Bennett the line.
Other than daragh fitzgibbon when Calum Lyons kneed him in the leg the previous week. Would you give me a break ffs.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Shlomo Franklin
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

27th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Ricky Lynch Band

The White Horse, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼