The Hurling Thread

Cody was KK manager from 1998 to 2022 without a break. I thought that in 2004 Kilkenny (under Cody) seemed to give up halfway through that match, the only time I've ever seen it happen. In 2006 he returned KK to the All-Ireland final to win against Cork and evolved the system we all learned to know and hate.
2004 all Ireland, I thought Seán Óg had his best game in a Cork jersey. He totally nullified the threat of Shefflin.We had a very good defense and goalkeeper at that time… even Wayne Sherlock struggled to get a place. 2004 as it turned out, was the pinnacle of that team. Doubt if many foresaw that at that time. Going to 2022, some green shoots in that Alan Connolly and Ciarán Joyce have the potential to be long term stars. Undoubtedly more talent to come from recent underage.Add that to the existing talent Coleman, Fitzgibbon,Flynn and with a good manager we need to start delivering all Ireland’s

2004 all Ireland, I thought Seán Óg had his best game in a Cork jersey. He totally nullified the threat of Shefflin.We had a very good defense and goalkeeper at that time… even Wayne Sherlock struggled to get a place. 2004 as it turned out, was the pinnacle of that team. Doubt if many foresaw that at that time. Going to 2022, some green shoots in that Alan Connolly and Ciarán Joyce have the potential to be long term stars. Undoubtedly more talent to come from recent underage.Add that to the existing talent Coleman, Fitzgibbon,Flynn and with a good manager we need to start delivering all Ireland’s

Sean Og was always a joy to watch, so safe with the ball!

A manager doesn’t have to be a nice guy to be successful. Cody was a disciplinarian and demanded utmost and complete loyalty from his players. His personality is irrelevant. Alf Ramsey had no personality, but had complete control with his 1966 team. Kingston was a genuinely nice guy, but someone like Canon O’ Brien got more out of the players. Jim Tough Barry, Cork’s longest serving successful manager was once described by Jack Lynch, as a guy who didn’t know much about hurling… but Jack praised him as the best ever manager! Bottom line, discipline, fitness levels, determination and loyalty will always triumph!

Come on! If Cork had a manager with an iota of the success Cody brought to Kilkenny in the last 25 years, we’d be celebrating! One thing Cody’s teams always brought to the table were 100% commitment and never say die attitude. We haven’t had that in years. We need some more Johnny Crowley’s
Earra pay no attention to that edgelord. He umpired at an under 8's blitz about 6 months ago and thinks he's davy Fitz now.

The bum

🤣

Cody humbled Cork hurling pure and simple. It took him just 16 years (1999 to 2015) to shatter all of our hurling records.

The history books will read about a man who became the greatest hurling manager of all time. In 24 years got to 17 All Ireland finals winning 11 of them, completing 4 in a row whilst having the greatest team to ever play the game.

Facts!

From afar: Cody cared for nothing but winning, regardless of the cost and by any means fair or foul. Ruthless, he ran his teams like a drill sergeant and psyched them into every game as if they were going into actual battle.
At their height, around 2008, I saw them as the most brilliant team playing any sport in the world. Their destruction of Waterford in that 2008 final was the most merciless display I have ever witnessed.
That Cody was man of the match says it all.
For me the root of his brilliance was his abilty to recognise and find the exact type of character that he wanted in his team. KK players with skill being relatively plentiful in his era, he pinpointed those with the mindset and resilience to treat every game as real war. No surprise there were army lads in the iterations of his successful teams.
And Jackie Tyrell....I mean the lad was an actual dog of war.

From afar: Cody cared for nothing but winning, regardless of the cost and by any means fair or foul. Ruthless, he ran his teams like a drill sergeant and psyched them into every game as if they were going into actual battle.
At their height, around 2008, I saw them as the most brilliant team playing any sport in the world. Their destruction of Waterford in that 2008 final was the most merciless display I have ever witnessed.
That Cody was man of the match says it all.
For me the root of his brilliance was his abilty to recognise and find the exact type of character that he wanted in his team. KK players with skill being relatively plentiful in his era, he pinpointed those with the mindset and resilience to treat every game as real war. No surprise there were army lads in the iterations of his successful teams.
And Jackie Tyrell....I mean the lad was an actual dog of war.

Ah would ya stop.

Waterford shat the bed in spectacular fashion in the 08 final.
They made our collapse last year look like a case study in composure.

The 'most brilliant team playing any sport in the world' because they dismantled a Blaas team where only John Mullane showed up, ffs.

Limerick 07 and Waterford 08 were two of the softest All Irelands ever won. Tipp were more than able for them.

Some of the Cork lads fawning over Cody would want to take a long hard look at themselves. All this 'playing on the edge' shite is only shorthand for being a team of cheats.

Yes he won a langerload of All Irelands but lets not rewrite history. Systematic fouling, scrums, frontal charging all part and parcel of hurling now, that's down to Cody.

Good riddance.

His teams dismantled tippy tappy hurling played by corn and others.
Greatest manager of them all. Testament to this is how close he came with average KK squads to claiming the big one. Irrespective of his record of wins

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths

The White Horse, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼