The Hurling Thread

would you be as calm if next week you had rob downey getting a one match ban for a similar offence? Have a look at the row before ian galvins red he comes in and stamps on Taylor and kicks him then throws nounsey around and gets a yellow for that. Had the Fahy suspension not happened its not an issue. Now with the precedent of that red he gets a red. One match ban though because its not as serious. How are you feeling about the whole situation in this context ?
Downey definitely should have got a red, I think the Galvin red right after distracted the officials. Downey got away with one but apparently so did many other Limerick and Clare players in the Munster final. Downey should have got 1 match and didn't Fahy was caught and got 2 which he deserved.

Downey deffo got away with a red in that incident. Tbh I would have no complaints if he had been sanctioned. As to why he wasn't in light of these three latest suspensions, I have no idea. Was it because the referee issued a yellow at the time.
"The Central Competitions Control Committee have the power to retrospectively punish a player if none of the match officials have seen the potential red card offence". As you said the ref giving Downey a yellow means he can't be subsequently cited.

Part of the issue is the attitude of the refs to any given incident. We are then back to their interpretation of the rules and what punishment they deem appropriate. Once they have dealt with the issue it cannot be revisited. In the case of the 2 clare boys and the Galway lad the ref didn't see the incidents and therefore couldn't deal with them, the cccc then have the right and the duty to step in which they have, therefore Downey didn't get a red because the ref did what a lot of posters want the ref to do, he used his own interpretation of the rules and let the game flow!

Just after seeing your post now red rebel 1, 100% correct

Ah now. I’m all for an open, honest physical game, but you cannot allow what Hayes did to go unpunished. Off the ball, he strikes with the butt of the Hurley into someone’s spine and then strikes down with the edge of the Hurley with force. That’s firstly dangerous, it’s cowardly and a very bad example to young players coming up through the clubs. That’s not a hard hit, it’s assault. Again I’m all in favour of hard physical hurling, but………
Flanagan was holding his arm to stop him getting out to block Gillane. You can see him trying to free his arm before he hits him in the back. Fair enough give him a ban but as a former full back line man I’d say Flanagan deserved all he got and more.

"The Central Competitions Control Committee have the power to retrospectively punish a player if none of the match officials have seen the potential red card offence". As you said the ref giving Downey a yellow means he can't be subsequently cited.
the yellow was for hauling mounsey around and general bollocksology which was harmless. He did not see the stanp
He couldnt have from where he was

Downey deffo got away with a red in that incident. Tbh I would have no complaints if he had been sanctioned. As to why he wasn't in light of these three latest suspensions, I have no idea. Was it because the referee issued a yellow at the time.
I wouldn’t even entertain this whatabout bollix that Clare are crying about at this stage. Both suspensions are deserved and hayes is lucky, he struck a fella in the back with the heel of the Hurley and as for duggan thoroughly deserved suspension and should be for 2 games as it was another strike with the Hurley to the throat.
When Clare fellas were diving on the ground up in Ennis and thurles and getting fellas sent off there wasn’t much about it from either limerick or cork.

I wouldn’t even entertain this whatabout bollix that Clare are crying about at this stage. Both suspensions are deserved and hayes is lucky, he struck a fella in the back with the heel of the Hurley and as for duggan thoroughly deserved suspension and should be for 2 games as it was another strike with the Hurley to the throat.
When Clare fellas were diving on the ground up in Ennis and thurles and getting fellas sent off there wasn’t much about it from either limerick or cork.
God you are very cross this evening
I have no problem with suspensions and so on if they are across the board
However in clare we have a history of geting fucked over by this stuff.
for example colin Lynch was dealt with in the refs report but the munster council suspended him for the brown incident on the word of an official from Tipp county board. I cant think of his name but he was something to do with schools hurling the footage they show from the throw in has nothing to do with his supension.
Its never happened since that a lad in the stand is brought in to a meeting to overturn a refs report

donal tuohy 08 under 21 munster final alledged to have left the square , free for clare over turned 65 awarded scored tipp win the final

Red card for pulling the face guard 2014 podge collins got one , no one else that i can think of got a red for it despite multiple incidents

last year we got the penalty against aidan mccarthy v tipp which seems to have disappeared without trace since

we lost two players for covid contacts last year after the wexford game based on being on the field of play which was bizarre

This year the clare minor keeper stepped from his line as he saved in the penalty shootout and the ref awarded a re take
the tipp keeper scored from the retake with the ball inside the 21 when he hit it goal awarded
be interesting to see how long we have to wait for another retake like that

and finally Ian Galvins ludicrous red card v cork was not rescinded because apparentkly someone who is not in the county board and not in Brian Lohans management tried to influence the commiittee in some unspecified way that has never been explained

Now we have this stuff on top of it.

Its a fairly comphrehensive list of utterly bizarre shit
i think you will agree

as regards ennis and saying there wasnt much about it?

John Kiely nearly had to be put into a hannibal lecter contraption to get him into the limerick dressing room at half time :)
did you not see the footage of it?

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Cork City Organ Group

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼