The Future of Cork's Quaysides?

I think Cycle nazis and eco-mentalists are just anti car. A wheezing cycle nazi emits 20g of Carbon per Kilometre. A Tesla Model S emits zero.

Indeed..and lycra is a product of the petrochem industry...not hand shorn from goats by some fair trade chancer in el salvador

Indeed..and lycra is a product of the petrochem industry...not hand shorn from goats by some fair trade chancer in el salvador

Throw in the noxious viruses the cycle nazis are spraying all over our city centres and I think it’s time to ban them outright. Set up park n walk facilities on the periphery of the city centre so they can leave their bikes outside. Also, the Coke bikes should all be suspended until we can figure out what the hell is going on

Throw in the noxious viruses the cycle nazis are spraying all over our city centres and I think it’s time to ban them outright. Set up park n walk facilities on the periphery of the city centre so they can leave their bikes outside. Also, the Coke bikes should all be suspended until we can figure out what the hell is going on

Riding a coke bike at the moment is like using a spent condom that you found up an alleyway.

The quaysides in Cork are typically characterised by fairly wide roadways, very narrow footpaths and toxic fumes from standing traffic. They are ripe for greening and pedestrianisation and taking advantage of the riverside setting. Unfortunately powerful vested interested in the business community, a Council consumed by a car-led ideology and some very car centric councillors do not want anything like that to happen. In fact they want more cars and less space for sustainable transport.

It's unbelievable at a time when cities all over the world are using the opportunity of Covid to make their cities more sustainable and attractive to people, that Cork is looking to do the exact opposite and increase car usage and space given to the car. Anyone pointing this out is labelled a whinger and a moaner by elected officials. Joke of a city.

Great potential in the quays alright. In the short term we are going to have to facilitate cars to park in or near the centre - but only a fool believes cars as they are are the future.
Unless we get people actually living in the center it will always struggle to bring life there.
All over Europe city centers are filled with residents, surely we can do something about that here

The pay as you go bikes should definitely not be on the road at the moment. No chance that they are being cleaned after every use.

Not to mention those people walking and running around breathing out CO2. Fucking horrendous.

The cycle-nazis are exerting themselves though and are particularly belligerent towards other road users as evidenced by the multiple hysterical tweets and videos of "near misses" and road rage incidents posted on the internet.

Pedestrians need to have priority. No more cycle-nazis ignoring the law and cycling on footpaths and pedestrianised streets. We need safe space, and a minimum of two metres social distancing.

The cycle-nazis are exerting themselves though and are particularly belligerent towards other road users as evidenced by the multiple hysterical tweets and videos of "near misses" and road rage incidents posted on the internet.

Pedestrians need to have priority. No more cycle-nazis ignoring the law and cycling on footpaths and pedestrianised streets. We need safe space, and a minimum of two metres social distancing.

Presume you are also against motorists who ignore the law, park on footpaths, run red lights etc or joggers huffing and puffing on footpaths? Or is it just people on bikes who you have an issue with?

Well,

This has descended into a Battle Royale Faction Fight between Motorists' Vs Cyclists' Vs Pedestrians' right of Access/movement within the Urban Environment.

These frictions are of course part of it, and need to be discussed; but let's try and keep this thread about the Future of Cork's Quaysides.

This for me is Thinking about the Potential of the Quays. as future Public Greened Recreational Space within the City. Surely this is something that all Factions can get behind?! (or not!?)

I agree with somebody above, in that the existing cosy arrangement --a City Centre Island ringed by Traffic Arteries that sucks in people to travel/shop/spend/lounge within it-- suits those that run successful businesses there. Why would they want to divert footfall away from where their businesses are.? Seems a bit of a Cosy Cabal of Old Money to me!

Redesigning the Quays as Public Greened Space would -in my opinion- be good (in a commercial/cultural sense) not only for the Quays themselves, but would also open up outlying areas such as Douglas Street/Barrack Street/Shandon Street and encourage a better environment in these places. In ways, Expanding the 'City Centre' beyond the Island

Unless we get people actually living in the center it will always struggle to bring life there.
All over Europe city centers are filled with residents, surely we can do something about that here

I'd agree with this too. Cork city centre could certainly do with a large increase in Population/Residential numbers.

But i feel it's a case that if you put the infrastructure in place First (greened quays, designated for recreation ), it would encourage people to live there .

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼