The Damned United

Presenter : We're going to now look at 'The Damned United'.

One of the most controversial sports books ever, and tonight the film too.

Let's kick-off with Pat Murphy.

Is this a ringing endorsement, Pat?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat Murphy (BBC Sports Journalist) : No. Not really. I just want my prejudices confirmed.

The reality was even more amusing and different despite the dark periods that are portrayed in the movie.

Michael Sheen said he was sure about the accuracy of the film.

I've found 17 factual inaccuracies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin O'Neill (Aston Villa Manager) : Every training session with Clough was an education.

Chronologically, the movie concerns me. Dave Mackay wasn't even a Derby player in one scene in the movie.

Pat Murphy : There are a lot of scenes where Clough has a drink in his hand and a cigar going? You were at Forest in '75.

Martin O'Neill : I was. Absolutely not. He came to Forest with a point to prove.

Physically, he was in excellent condition.

Sharp as a tack.

Tim Lovejoy : I absolutely loved it.

Pat Murphy : Pete Taylor played by Timothy Spall? He's about 5 inches smaller than Peter Taylor, and his Nottingham accent didn't sound right.

This (film) is public knowledge.

I learned nothing new from this film.

Tim Lovejoy : Nothing new? I learned a lot of new things.

Pat Murphy : How old are you, Tim?

Can you imagine Brian Clough begging on his knees to Peter Taylor to forgive him?

Absolute nonsense.

David Peace (Author) and a Yorkshire man : Blah, blah, blah, ad nauseam. Explaining himself.

Pat Murphy : John Giles even launched a scathing attack on the book.

Clough and Giles didn't even get on.

The author said Clough took an axe to Revie's desk. Simply not true.

There is one scene when Brian Clough doesn't get out of his office, he couldn't face his Derby playing Leeds at the Baseball Ground.

Sat there, the entire match drinking and smoking.

Serious condemnation.

Clough would have been out there eyeballing Revie from the dugout.

The very idea of Clough sitting in his office is just risible.

Tim Lovejoy : I love Brian Clough.

Last edited:
This film is nothing without helen chamberlain's seal of approval! Nothing!

You people know nothing of full Soccer AM approval, NOTHING!

Mockery!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼