The County Board Complaints Thread

Does Frank Need To Go

• Total voters
There were 3 clubs who won the 2020 county and then went straight on to win the 2021 county up a grade. Most of them won games fairly handily.

I think that says more about the lower grades being low on quality more so than the 3 clubs being exceptional. Intermediate A in both codes and LIH are junior A standard at best. Most teams in there are only clinging on to status by the fingernails. It’s good for nobody.
In your opinion that is.

Is it slightly disingenuous to use, and ignore, the obvious advantage the some 2020 Club c'ship winners had going into the 2021 season due to Covid causing some c'ships to run over giving the participants an obvious advantage in their preparations?

I asked the question about the vast majority of Junior teams that are at playing at Divisional level, by your logic they are Junior B at best, that are going to end up being well well beaten in c'ship games now, how does a unilateral realignment serve them?

I think Option B is the answer, but with 2 up and down from now on, i.e. if you make your Co Final you get promoted.

Bottom two to go down will grab more of the teams just clinging on anually in the grade above. Greater movememt between grades is required in my opinion.

Take last years PSFC, Carrigaline lost their 3 groups games by an average of 17pts - in football - (a scenario that was nowhere near happening in the LIHC btw) then scored a last minute goal in their relegation play off to cling on to their grade, putting down another team that won the same relegation play off the year before. Now that is a situation that definitely needs changing.

Rebrand your c'ship names to make Cork clubs more competitive in Munster by all means but banishing clubs back to their Divisions because it 'looks good' is the wrong thing to do imo. I saw a JAHC Divisional winner ask a neighbouring 'struggling' Intermediate club for a challenge game in prep for their Co c'ship matches a couple of years ago, they went out with a full side, fancied themselves to do bit of a job on the team in the higher grade, they wont ask again in a hurry, they were absolutely hammered.

Would love to see two up/two down given a chance, reward for making Co Final, bonus to win it and two strugglers from above come down. A lot of the perceived issues come from only one team being demoted each season.

Is it just the teams going from Intermediate to Junior fear the drop??? I think not.

Last edited:
2 up 2 down I'm unsure about even though it's an interesting suggestion

If I was beaten in county final I'd prefer to come back following year try win it as opposed to moving up a grade. Don't think it would be same buzz going up on the back of a loss.
Much more momentum after winning

I think its the thought of going back to dealing with the Divisional Boards would be biggest issue, I'd imagine they would grab Option B which rebrands them as Premier 'Junior' no bother to remain under the Co Boards remit.

PS, take a look at some the q/final results of Lisgoolds Junior A Co win of 2020, some right hammerings were handed out to Junior A Divisional winners by teams that went no further in the next round. The standard is woeful in some Divisions, plenty of the teams that could be sent back down would inflict serious damage on the scoreboard in each Division imo - how good for the game at the most local of levels would that be???
Agree with your first point on divisions and the way they’re run. Being under the county board remit is much preferred.

On the second point I disagree. Which teams would do serious damage at division level? Dripsey and Milford wouldn’t. Don’t think Argideen, Kilbrittain or Barryroe would have it handy in Carbery either. Plus they’d have to face each other. Russell Rovers and St Catherine’s would have to face each other in Imokily as well as Carraig na bhFear, St Itas. Now, there are a few second teams that they might overwhelm but that’s then up to those second/ third teams to regrade to Junior B. You might have a point re Carrigdhoun, I’ve no clue what’s going on in that division but if they’re strong enough Tracton or Ballygarvan would win it and compete in late stages of county every year anyway.

2 up 2 down I'm unsure about even though it's an interesting suggestion

If I was beaten in county final I'd prefer to come back following year try win it as opposed to moving up a grade. Don't think it would be same buzz going up on the back of a loss.
Much more momentum after winning
No guarantees, ask Fr O'Neills, Kanturk, St. Micheals, think the prep for a Co Final knowing you had already achieved promotion would be a super experience for the players

No guarantees, ask Fr O'Neills, Kanturk, St. Micheals, think the prep for a Co Final knowing you had already achieved promotion would be a super experience for the players
No guarantees exactly, all the more reason to only step up if you've won. I don't see point moving up a grade unless you've won.
It will leave doubts in your head, maybe very difficult to settle in new grade as a result

No guarantees exactly, all the more reason to only step up if you've won. I don't see point moving up a grade unless you've won.
It will leave doubts in your head, maybe very difficult to settle in new grade as a result
It could be said the problems exsist because clubs were let go up without winning in the first instance, lower grades in hurling are littered with 2nd teams from clubs parachuted into them to suit their own agenda, at whos expense now?

Look at our Co Leagues, teams from all grades mixed into Divisions, cant see settling in being a problem

There were 3 clubs who won the 2020 county and then went straight on to win the 2021 county up a grade. Most of them won games fairly handily.

I think that says more about the lower grades being low on quality more so than the 3 clubs being exceptional. Intermediate A in both codes and LIH are junior A standard at best. Most teams in there are only clinging on to status by the fingernails. It’s good for nobody.
But the issue is the divisonal junior championships need reform and to do this they need extra time to run the competitions. The competitions can't start until the county board competitions start as the Junior A "First teams" will refuse to play against the second teams of strong senior and intermediate clubs. Currently Junior competitions are being ran off on a knockout basis or with back doors played a few short days after teams lose a first round. Junior players want change as they are looking at club mates playing meaningful group stage games spread out over a number of weeks, with importance linked to every game, no matter if they win or lose.
Junior players aren't going to stick around unless they get a similar programme of games.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Chris Kent and Gearóid Farrelly
The White Horse, Ballincollig

17th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Buffalo Soul - Bob Marley Tribute

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼