The characters of Cork

There's more of those evangelical street preachers around than ever. That unhinged African woman who's at the same spot on Saturdays is particularly annoying.

Haven't seen her in a while as I avoid town on Saturdays, but yes she is a fucking pain

I also saw a busker just playing an electric bass guitar on Princes Street. Bizarre shit, a fella pumping out random bass notes and expexting people to give him cash

Is that homeless woman with the curly perm and distinctive raspy voice still around? She used to be about with a fella who would play the spoons while also holding a small transistor radio. Hes immortalised in that mural by Anthony Ruby on the alley wall leading into the Mutton Lane inn. He must be long dead, haven't seen him in years.

Why not remember a cork characher..a so called nobody...hes more deserving that a lot who get plaques etc
I don't know what his story was but I'd often see him around. With some of the "characters" you'd spare a minute for them, ask how they were doing, generally be outwards and caring towards them (or annoyed by an antic.) With him, you'd catch his eye and nod or smile and that'd be that. He always gave the impression he didn't actually want anything. Not even acknowledgement, but he'd be happy to receive the nod and give it back. A man contended in himself which was a very soothing thing if you knew it.

I'm actually got bothered by the news. He was a mystery, to me at least, of Cork City. I don't know what good or bad there is in his history but he was a feature of the city, far more than some of the "characters" that get mentioned in this thread. And he seemed ok with his place within Cork, Ireland and the world.

Anyone recall 'The Diesel Queen' a big strapping hooker dressed in black all the time. Saw her at various times and places, Old Glanmire Road, up near The Horse and Jockey in Tipperary walking along a country road in hooker attire and passed her at a bus-stop in Patrick Street legs akimbo flashing the gash also remember her being in The Southern Star causing a ruckus where she threw an ashtray at a customer.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Camilla Griehsel's Mamasongue
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

12th May 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼