The Action Plan for Housing.

There was no need for a cycle lane there because the lane where the bus stop was was too all intents and purposes a lane that cyclist could use, as it was plenty wide enough for cars and bikes.

It's a complete waste of bloody money what they've done there. People who want to cycle to work, school, etc in clement weather would cycle anyway. Now they've just added more congestion to what was already a very busy junction at peak times.

And as Hank says, most if the cycle lanes in the City seem empty to me most of the time too.

I use public transport too for going to work in the city centre. It's grand, I can stick the headphones in and listen to a podcast or audio book. But when you're going to work it can be damn annoying to be left waiting for a half hour to an hour in the pissing rain and freezing cold, and I wouldn't blame anyone who uses their car instead.

Also, I'm relatively young and healthy so it's a minor inconvenience to me, but I've often been at the stops with an elderly or disabled person and it's a lot more hardship for them, believe me.

The Greens attitude seems to be to me, to be fuck them, more cycle lanes is what we need and don't anyone dare disagree with us. If you do you're an uncaring brute with no thought for the younger generation. Which is not true as I voted for them in the last election, because I think the environment is our most important issue.

But all these greens seem to want is more tax and more cycle lanes. No, build a good public transport system and people will get out of the cars and into buses. Building cycle lanes won't make them ditch their car in any great numbers.

Fully agreed.

They've created choke points at the North and South gate bridge with the installation of unused cycle lanes at the expense of existing traffic lanes.

Never mind killing city centre business by removing hundreds on on street parking spaces to accommodate mostly unused cycle lanes.

The installation of mile upon mile of cycle lanes in the city centre is a case study in bad planning by the zealots in the planning department.

If you want a good laugh take a look at the cycle lanes they've put in Glounthaune, over a width of a lane wide and not being used.

Build it and they will come. :rolleyes:

Escooters make a lot of sense for short urban commutes, if I was in my 20s I'd have one along with a bicycle. With Ebikes you're getting into a bigger capital outlay and I'm not sure how many years you'd get out of one.
And later on if you have kids?
I'm sure social services won't be called if you leave CUMH and leave on a scooter with a 3 day old child.

Not true, you are FGS news, I cycle regularly and haven't gotten one bad wetting in the last 6 months. Some days are unsuitable for cycling but you can judge the weather pretty well on any given day between looking at the sky and using weather apps.
Riiight. So the forecasters were wrong when they said by mid March we already had twice as much rain as the whole of March last year?
Putting my bins out to the end of my driveway I've gotten soaked virtually every week...maybe I should cycle to the end of my driveway to put the bins out so?

Riiight. So the forecasters were wrong when they said by mid March we already had twice as much rain as the whole of March last year?
Putting my bins out to the end of my driveway I've gotten soaked virtually every week...maybe I should cycle to the end of my driveway to put the bins out so?
I wouldn't chance cycling today, but I bet you go out for a walk at some stage during the day and not get a wetting, it's all about judging the clouds on the sky, that and checking the phone app which is fairly accurate over short time periods.

Cycling is most stressful at morning rush hour, that's when the roads are busiest with cars flying every which way.

Fully agreed.

They've created choke points at the North and South gate bridge with the installation of unused cycle lanes at the expense of existing traffic lanes.

Never mind killing city centre business by removing hundreds on on street parking spaces to accommodate mostly unused cycle lanes.

The installation of mile upon mile of cycle lanes in the city centre is a case study in bad planning by the zealots in the planning department.

If you want a good laugh take a look at the cycle lanes they've put in Glounthaune, over a width of a lane wide and not being used.

Build it and they will come. :rolleyes:

Agree 100% that the vast vast majority of cycle lanes in and around the city center are completely unnecessary and are in fact more of a hindrance than a help.

What you have out along Glounthaune however doesn't fall under that assertion imo. A big wide lane along a road that isn't subject to queues or congestion is a good thing.
I don't know if it is designated specifically as a cycle lane or not but it is much more than that. A stretch of lane like that in a location like that with no adverse effect on traffic is an incredibly useful bit of infrastructure for parents with young kids who want to cycle/scoot/run along safely. I've seen many adults exercising on it and older people walking along on it too.
TBH the less cyclists on the likes of that the better really but as long as they cycle safely on it then whatever.

There is a big difference between shoehorning a cycle lane into an already under pressure urban infrastructure to fulfill some bs green agenda and adding a nice wide community walkway in a suburban area.

Agree 100% that the vast vast majority of cycle lanes in and around the city center are completely unnecessary and are in fact more of a hindrance than a help.

What you have out along Glounthaune however doesn't fall under that assertion imo. A big wide lane along a road that isn't subject to queues or congestion is a good thing.
I don't know if it is designated specifically as a cycle lane or not but it is much more than that. A stretch of lane like that in a location like that with no adverse effect on traffic is an incredibly useful bit of infrastructure for parents with young kids who want to cycle/scoot/run along safely. I've seen many adults exercising on it and older people walking along on it too.
TBH the less cyclists on the likes of that the better really but as long as they cycle safely on it then whatever.

There is a big difference between shoehorning a cycle lane into an already under pressure urban infrastructure to fulfill some bs green agenda and adding a nice wide community walkway in a suburban area.

Wouldn't agree at all tbh, it is ridiculously wide and has made it quite dangerous for traffic going east with a really high kerb.

Someone swings accross in front of you and you've a serious accident on your hands.

Wouldn't agree at all tbh, it is ridiculously wide and has made it quite dangerous for traffic going east with a really high kerb.

Someone swings accross in front of you and you've a serious accident on your hands.

That one is ridiculously wide TBF, they probably didn't need to cut into the road as much as they did and they made a mess of it outside Fitzpatrick's as well but wide safe walkways are invaluable when you have smallies to entertain/excercise.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

17th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Easter Beer Festival

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼