The Action Plan for Housing.

Opposition to Terenure development ‘not nimbyism’, says Sinn Féin TD​

Aengus Ó Snodaigh criticises ‘exorbitant’ €670,000 price tag for two-bed apartment​

Wed, May 11, 2022, 15:30 Updated: Wed, May 11, 2022, 18:23
Gordon Deegan
A computer-generated image of the proposed development for Kimmage Road West in Dublin

A computer-generated image of the proposed development for Kimmage Road West in Dublin

A prominent Sinn Féin TD has claimed that opposition to a €106 million apartment scheme for Terenure in Dublin “is not nimbyism”.

In an objection to fast-track plans by Lioncor Developments subsidiary 1 Terenure Land Ltd for the 208-unit, six-storey apartment scheme, Aengus Ó Snodaigh said that “nobody could say that the imposition of five blocks of six-storey apartments backing onto and overlooking the gardens of Dublin Corporation-built 1930s/40s two-storey homes is suitable, as is being proposed with the Carlisle development”.
More than 75 objections have been lodged against the scheme for lands beside the Ben Dunne Carlisle Gym, Kimmage Road West, Terenure, Dublin 12. Others to object include a number of residents’ groups: the Kimmage Dublin Residents Alliance, the Kimmage Road West Residents Association and Terenure West Residents Association.
The scheme is comprised of 104 one-bed apartments and 104 two-bed apartments. The developers have put an indicative price tag of €10.66 million on 21 apartments to be sold to Dublin City Council for social housing.
The Part V documentation lodged with the scheme puts an indicative price of €668,155 on one two-bedroom unit.
In his objection, Mr Ó Snodaigh told An Bord Pleanála that there are consequences to the “exorbitant” guide price of €670,000 for a two-bedroomed apartment.
The Dublin South Central TD said setting such a price “means that the apartments will be well out of reach for most of those looking for starter homes – young working couples. Such prices will also add to the inflationary pressures on homes in the vicinity, most of which would not come within an ass’s roar of the price guide being set for this apartment complex.

How do Sinn Fein propose to improve affordability by restricting supply?

Also:

Tipperary solar farm plan sparks dozens of objections​

Over two dozen objections have been lodged against a decision to grant planning permission for a solar energy development across a 42-hectare site in Tipperary.

Tipperary County Council approved the application from the British-headquartered Renewable Energy Systems (RES) in late March in the face of opposition from numerous avenues, including local residents, a number of local councillors, and a Sinn Féin TD.

You are not getting a home anytime soon and fock the planet.

851 properties available to rent NATIONWIDE as of May 1st, according to Daft.ie

We are absolutely fuct, and landlords are leaving the market in their droves. That is only going to continue if restrictions are imposed on their incomes, particularly when house prices are at a level where it is quite attractive to cash in and sell up, instead of having to deal with tenants every month.

We are absolutely fuct, and landlords are leaving the market in their droves. That is only going to continue if restrictions are imposed on their incomes, particularly when house prices are at a level where it is quite attractive to cash in and sell up, instead of having to deal with tenants every month.
Do NOT panic!

The politician's have it all sorted out........

Those nasty millionaire landlords,

Those nasty millionaire landlords,
They'll be the only ones left at the rate smaller landlords are leaving the market.

We're heading towards a situation where without institutional landlords, we have no rental sector.

And if people can't afford to buy a house, and physically can't find a property to rent because there are none, where do they go then?

I've heard that international companies are turning down the opportunity to come to Cork because there is literally nowhere for prospective staff to live. These companies talk about attracting the best staff from Ireland and abroad, but they're not going to leave Paris or even Dublin to rent a room in an old gaff on Barrack Street.

We haven't had a private apartment block built in Cork in at least 10 years, it's absolutely insane.

They'll be the only ones left at the rate smaller landlords are leaving the market.

We're heading towards a situation where without institutional landlords, we have no rental sector.

And if people can't afford to buy a house, and physically can't find a property to rent because there are none, where do they go then?

I've heard that international companies are turning down the opportunity to come to Cork because there is literally nowhere for prospective staff to live. These companies talk about attracting the best staff from Ireland and abroad, but they're not going to leave Paris or even Dublin to rent a room in an old gaff on Barrack Street.

We haven't had a private apartment block built in Cork in at least 10 years, it's absolutely insane.
As some on here have posted politicians should be kept well out of it,

As some on here have posted politicians should be kept well out of it,

They've shown themselves to be more part of the problem than part of the solution

I have a friend from Chile, who rents near me. She's on the opposite side of the world from home, and if her landlord suddenly decides to sell up, she is goosed. I am very fortunate that if this happened to me I have my parents nearby, but for people without that safety net it must be a very worrying time.

They've shown themselves to be more part of the problem than part of the solution

I have a friend from Chile, who rents near me. She's on the opposite side of the world from home, and if her landlord suddenly decides to sell up, she is goosed. I am very fortunate that if this happened to me I have my parents nearby, but for people without that safety net it must be a very worrying time.
A couple i know who have a child have just recieved six months notice to quit, They have no idea what to do, Her parents live 25 miles
away and they may have to move in with them ,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼