Teachers

This wont go down well

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...r-round-in-further-education-sector-1.1771312

Teachers in the further education sector will be required to work throughout the summer under reforms announced by Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn.
Mr Quinn outlined a radical reconfiguration of higher and further education and training at his speech to over 400 delegates at the Teachers’ Union of Ireland this afternoon.
Teachers, especially further education teachers, reacted with visible but silent dismay as Mr Quinn told them that year-round education will now be provided in the further education sector, with teachers working throughout the summer. Speaking after the conference, Mr. Quinn said the proposals are at a very early stage and that how they proceed will be a matter for negotiation.
In the higher education sector, Mr. Quinn said that he plans to forge ahead with the creation of “technological universities” (TU), which will involve mergers of regional clusters of institutes of technology. All institutions will be expected to develop structures for the new arrangements in the coming year, while a panel of international experts will adjudicate whether applications for TU status will be approved.
In a move that will have major repercussions for Ireland’s seven universities and all of its institutes of technology, the Minister said that he will improve the governance of the entire third-level sector with the publication of a new Bill in the coming months. He also announced plans to reform and overhaul the apprenticeship system in Ireland.

I loved the way they had a session, with some sort of "vote", on the issue of bullying at their conference........and the same day had some lout heckle from the floor using a loudhailer.

Teachers getting their knickers in a twist because he said that more boys do honours maths. This is true, even today, when numbers have improved, there are still more boys than girls taking honours maths in the leaving (53% are boys).

I realise that this is purely anecdotal, but of all the primary teachers I know, none would have been even potential honours maths candidates. They'll tell you that themselves.

Teachers getting their knickers in a twist because he said that more boys do honours maths. This is true, even today, when numbers have improved, there are still more boys than girls taking honours maths in the leaving (53% are boys).

I realise that this is purely anecdotal, but of all the primary teachers I know, none would have been even potential honours maths candidates. They'll tell you that themselves.

I would say that there are skills far more important for primary teaching than honours maths to be fair

Its taking kids from 4-12 through a process, being able to manage the kids and keep them focused and engaged is far more important than having honours maths which will not even come into play- In fact I'd also rather a teacher with good sports coaching pedigree for my kids in a primary school scenario

Id like to see what this working through the summer proposal entails though - it is a joke that they get paid for a quarter of the year for close to nothing

I would say that there are skills far more important for primary teaching than honours maths to be fair

Its taking kids from 4-12 through a process, being able to manage the kids and keep them focused and engaged is far more important than having honours maths which will not even come into play- In fact I'd also rather a teacher with good sports coaching pedigree for my kids in a primary school scenario

Id like to see what this working through the summer proposal entails though - it is a joke that they get paid for a quarter of the year for close to nothing

I'd agree honka (are you someone else?). I don't think primary school maths comes even close to pass leaving cert maths, so I'm not entirely sure what his thinking is.

This wont go down well

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...r-round-in-further-education-sector-1.1771312

Teachers in the further education sector will be required to work throughout the summer under reforms announced by Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn.
Mr Quinn outlined a radical reconfiguration of higher and further education and training at his speech to over 400 delegates at the Teachers’ Union of Ireland this afternoon.
Teachers, especially further education teachers, reacted with visible but silent dismay as Mr Quinn told them that year-round education will now be provided in the further education sector, with teachers working throughout the summer. Speaking after the conference, Mr. Quinn said the proposals are at a very early stage and that how they proceed will be a matter for negotiation.
In the higher education sector, Mr. Quinn said that he plans to forge ahead with the creation of “technological universities” (TU), which will involve mergers of regional clusters of institutes of technology. All institutions will be expected to develop structures for the new arrangements in the coming year, while a panel of international experts will adjudicate whether applications for TU status will be approved.
In a move that will have major repercussions for Ireland’s seven universities and all of its institutes of technology, the Minister said that he will improve the governance of the entire third-level sector with the publication of a new Bill in the coming months. He also announced plans to reform and overhaul the apprenticeship system in Ireland.

shocked.gif

Lol he's talking about getting rid of the summer holidays. Teachers would be up in arms. And nobody would want to get in.

I mean who's going to take absolute shit from students, parents, and the principal all day every day if you didn't have the summer to look forward to

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
All You Need Is Death (16)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

23rd Apr 2024 @ 8:15 pm
More info..

Live n Gigging 2024

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼